Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #1 
furubafan3

Decor tips?

After giving my first fish away to my brother I've been saving up for a nice tank for my new future betta, and when looking at decor I can't help but wonder, how do you guys achieve such wonderful put together tanks?

I'm thinking about playing it safe, and going completely natural this time but I'm so attracted to these fun bright and colorful items too I can't seem to decide what would look together.

The glass stones and the flower orb come to mind.

And it all really depends on what color fish I get.
How do you guys stop yourselves from buying a whole bunch of random stuff and make sure it all matches together as a set?
furubafan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 
kfryman

I am attracted to natural tanks, I have only had one tank that has had fake plants and that was a hospital tank. All my tanks have a natural feel... So just my personality and very mild OCD makes me get stuff that works.

Are you playing on going fake or some real for plants?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #3 
furubafan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I am attracted to natural tanks, I have only had one tank that has had fake plants and that was a hospital tank. All my tanks have a natural feel... So just my personality and very mild OCD makes me get stuff that works.

Are you playing on going fake or some real for plants?
I was thinking of jumping head first into the land of real plants and getting some java fern, since I heard they are good for beginners. Although, My local pet shop doesn't sells live plants. And I move back into my dorm in Boston tomorrow where my fish options are limited.

I planned on getting some nice live plants off ebay and some white or black gravel. I'm also looking for a plant that's grass like? I had some fake silk grass in my last tank that my old betta loved and I'm hoping to find the live alternative.

EDIT: Also is anubis good for a beginner?

Last edited by furubafan3; 09-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.
furubafan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 
katydidmischief

My ridiculous OCD means my tank has to be non-stimulating and that usually means I go for things that are neutral--bronze gravel, brown-tan ombre pots, and a lot of green plants. Generally speaking, picking a theme or a color palette that you like a lot helps because you stick to that and don't buy things randomly.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #5 
teeneythebetta

I like the natural/neutral colored tanks too.

I think gravel would be better than the marbles because it would be easier to clean, especially if you have a siphon. And, in my experience, those marbles are very expensive especially when getting enough for a proper sized tank.

I did see someone who had that flower cave and their betta really liked it they said.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 
Jupiter

It depends. I prefer realistic and natural tanks, but some fake plants and decor are really nice too. That flower cave thing you posted, for example...I think it's really cute.

Also, I can't stop myself from buying random things, lol. If you find out, lemme know. ;) right now I have a bag of random decor and fake plants.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #7 
copperarabian

I always try to make my aquariums as natural as possible, I strongly believe it benefits the fish and helps them to feel more secure in a unnatural habitat :)

Here's a example of my divided 10g, left side has a HM betta, 5 ghost shrimp, mystery snail & 1 rams horn snail, right side has a paradise fish all alone because he is insanely aggressive towards anyone equal or smaller then him.

Last edited by copperarabian; 09-04-2012 at 03:38 AM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote