Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #41 
labloverl

Yea I don't know how big they are either... I was always told to do 3-4 a day, so that's what I did. I've never had one look bloated though, so they could definitely handle more. Should I bump them all up one to start with? I put a pellet on a ruler and it fit inside the small notches, so they're probably the same size. Directions say to feed 4-6 twice a day. I hate to think I've been starving them!

tanseattle, this is the first time I've see any affects of a fish fight, but I can't imagine what a fight that bad would look like!

Here's a pic of my bigger male. Yes he's missing some of his tail, but I think I've fixed the filter problem.

Last edited by labloverl; 09-04-2012 at 08:01 PM.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #42 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Yea I don't know how big they are either... I was always told to do 3-4 a day, so that's what I did. I've never had one look bloated though, so they could definitely handle more. Should I bump them all up one to start with? I put a pellet on a ruler and it fit inside the small notches, so they're probably the same size. Directions say to feed 4-6 twice a day. I hate to think I've been starving them!

tanseattle, this is the first time I've see any affects of a fish fight, but I can't imagine what a fight that bad would look like!
Teeney was about 1 1/2 inches body length (not including the tail!)
it sounds like the pellets about the same size. Try feeding a bit more, gradually increase. Tomorrow give them 2 twice a day, then the next day 3 twice a day. Unless they look bloated then that is a good amount for them.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #43 
labloverl

Should I feed the bigger male more as well? He gets 4 a day.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #44 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Should I feed the bigger male more as well? He gets 4 a day.
Yep, he may need more, just gradually increase the amount and if they look a little too rounded on their bellies, then you will know how much their bellies can handle :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #45 
MSG

Your bettas injuries aren't that bad.

At least you can't see their muscle tissue under the scales. 3-4 days in salt should be more than sufficient. Then just regular water changes and they'll heal up in a week or two.

For Senetti, I stopped using salt the 48 hours after she was freed from the decoration. I was more concerned about infection setting in because her wounds were open.

The day Senny got trapped I believe was officially day 8 for salt treatment. I put her in the guppy tank so she could hunt snails and get some exercise. Never thought she would try to swim through that decoration.

When I came home and looked for her, I couldn't find her, then I see her stuck in something at the bottom of the tank. I was so pissed because I thought she drowned, but I noticed her gills were still moving, so I had to pull her out to the top to breathe and propped her up while I gathered tools to free her.

There was more than a few times I noticed little bits of white fungus forming on her wounds, so I put her in a WELL filtered tank with a ton of water movement and that cleared it up in a couple hours.

As for your feeding regimen, I know plenty of betta owners that feed 1-2 pellets 3-4 times a WEEK & the bettas are healthy and several years old.

Keep in mind, if your betta does NOTHING, it's going to get bloated & fat just like any couch potato chip eating human.

Last edited by MSG; 09-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #46 
labloverl

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yep, he may need more, just gradually increase the amount and if they look a little too rounded on their bellies, then you will know how much their bellies can handle :)
Will do!

MSG, that poor little girl!!! I would be so scared I saw mine look like that! So glad you were able to help her! P.S. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #47 
labloverl

Will ventral fins grow back? Sapphire actually lost most of his right one in the fight!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #48 
LebronTheBetta

Fins and scales do grow back..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #49 
labloverl

Ok, thank you! It's just odd seeing him swim around with only one.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #50 
kfryman

Clean water, I don't know why everyone is always using salt. It can be harmful, I suggest you only use salt if you need it.

Do 50% everyday and use stress coat during that time. If they develop fun rot then I would do salt.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote