Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 
GFarra

Household water softening system....okay to use for fish??

Hi everyone

I have been using Poland Spring to do my water changes mainly because I'm concerned my salt based water softening system is not good for my bettas. Would softened tap water conditioned with Prime be okay to use on my bettas?? also is there any benefit to using Prime and Stress Coat Plus?

Thank you

George
GFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFarra View Post
Hi everyone

I have been using Poland Spring to do my water changes mainly because I'm concerned my salt based water softening system is not good for my bettas. Would softened tap water conditioned with Prime be okay to use on my bettas?? also is there any benefit to using Prime and Stress Coat Plus?

Thank you

George
Are you sure your whole house has softened water coming out of the taps? We have a water softener but the softened water only comes out of bathroom faucets. The kitchen has regular water because we don't want to drink softened water.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 
GFarra

Yup its a whole house system. I have under sink filtration for drinking water. My outside spigots are not softened but they are shut down in the winter to prevent freezing.

I've tried using the undersink filtered water, but I can only get about 2 gallons out of it before the reserve tank empties.

George
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #4 
registereduser

I googled "softened water in aquarium" and frankly it's too much chemistry for me to understand! I hope you can figure it out
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #5 
GFarra

Funny you mentioned google. I did the same and my head spun.....hence the use of poland spring :)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #6 
Gale

Coming from a plumber, I would just fill up some buckets/bottles with hard water from a hose bib outside and store somewhere safe for the winter. You also might have an extra angle stop under your kitchen sink which supplies hard water, depending on who did the plumbing, ofcourse. If you do, you could get a crescent wrench and just switch the cold supply to that one for hard water inside.

Another option is to put the valve going into your softener on 'bypass', run a cold tap for 5 mins and you should have hard water coming out.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #7 
GFarra

Hi Gale

Thanks for the info. I'll check the bypass possibility on the softening system. That sounds like the easiest approach. Hit bypass, fill up 5 gallons in bottles to store when I need them. Repeat process when needed

Thanks

George