Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 
crowntaillove

Male betta is not blowing a bubble nest

I've been searching google endlessly and cannot definatively come to a conclusion as to why my male is not blowing a bubble nest, so maybe someone here can help me.

I have a double tail halfmoon male betta and a light colored veil tale female. I have the male in a 10 gallon tank filled about halfway and the female is in a 1/2 gallon tank floating (securely) in his tank. I have taped some bubble wrap to the top corner of the tank. I have a live plant and a moss ball as well. He has a heater and the thermometer says the temperature is about 74 degrees. I've been feeding them 2-3 times a day alternating between tubiflex worms and Omega One high protein flakes.

"Hank" my male betta is VERY attentive to "Penny", my female. He flares at her, swims backwards, does a sort of wiggly dance, and overall looks like he is trying very hard to impress her with his beautiful fins.

Penny, acknowledges him. She puts her mouth to the glass when he flares and last night I caught her flipping upside down trying to catch his attention while he was swimming under her tank. I can definately see her oviposter (I don't know if that's relivant.) She has a mostly cellophane body and I read that it's hard to tell if she has verticle strips with light colored females.

I don't know what he's waiting for. Any suggestions at all would be helpful.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Live food will help him encourage to build.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 
MollyJean

Not all bettas blow nests, even when placed near a female. Or, he might not blow a nest til the eggs are being picked up, and he'll blow the bubbles while he's caring for the eggs. But there might be a few other reasons. For breeding, you need a much higher temp, 80 is good.

Have you done a lot of research on breeding or are you going into it blind?
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #4 
crowntaillove

Well, I'm definately not an expert on the subject and I'm definately not going into something like this blind. I've read just about every article I can find on the subject.

The one thing I'm not exactly clear on is, how to tell if "Penny" is ready to breed or not since, from what I've read, the vertical bars cannot be seen on her light colored body.

If "Hank" doesn't make a bubble nest, will the eggs hatch?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 
MollyJean

Right, can't see the bars, but you will be able to see her belly bloated if it's full of eggs, and on some females, the white spot under there belly will be larger or appear swollen. Of course, you can't really tell til you put them together.

As for Hank, it depends on the fish.. some bettas never blow nests.. but having the bubble wrap or half a styrofoam cup is all they need. The eggs are attached to whatever is breaking the surface at the time. Every fish is different and you won't be able to tell what kind of father he is until you let them both loose in the tank. If you are really ready to go ahead, then go ahead. They will beat each other up, and it might take some time, just be ready to keep an eye on them.

Depends on the bettas, it might take 15 mins, it might take 2 days... Breeding bettas takes a whole lot of patients.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 
crowntaillove

Thank you. You've been very helpful. I'm considering putting them together to see how they react.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 
MollyJean

I'll send you bow-chicka-bow-wow vibes, kay? ;)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 
crowntaillove

Thanks, I'd appreciate it! Haha! :]
Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #9 
GhostFeather

I had a spawn last Saturday,my male never blew a nest,when the eggs hatched there were just clumps of fry,kind of stuck together!
Some were stuck on the rim of the cup.
The fry did well and are now a little over a week old and going strong.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #10 
Basement Bettas

Not every male will build a nest. My fist male never did and raised a HUGE 200+ spawn. Eggs just floated on surface and we had babies every where. But they turned out fine. Next breeding he did do a nest.. and I use small bubble wrap now for them to build under. Gives the clueless ones a pace to start.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote