Betta Fish Forum banner

Dropping fry. Experienced advice, please?

903 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got home and did a check of my fry and all the other betta babies. They're always so happy to see me, heh. I think I spent 30 minutes on the fry alone.

While watching them eat I noticed that the largest fry are the ones with the swim bladder problems. They stay on the bottom and every now and then they will hike themselves to the top and get a breath, then fall back down.

I'm going on the basis that this is the first signs of debilitating Swim Bladder problems, and understand they may need to be culled.

I'm wondering how normal this is, and why, exactly, it's happening mostly to my largest fry. Is there a connection between the problem and how much they are eating? I'm hoping to learn how to avoid this in later spawns.

#2 ·
Subbing to this thread because this sounds interesting!

#4 ·
Right, 3 weeks yesterday (Monday) and I figures I wouldn't even start culling til 2 months at the soonest. So the dropping is fairly common? I really hope it clears up.

I'd love to know what is causing it so I can avoid it in the future. If anyone knows, please speak up. I haven't found an answer yet, but I could be looking in the wrong places.

Oh, and the tank is covered. I keep two thermometers in the tank, one in the water, and one above the water. As long as they both read 80 and there is moisture on the glass, I'm fine :)

#6 ·
I'm feeding them with BBS, Microworms and Bananaworms, but the larger ones are ignoring the worms now, so I'm probably going to cut those out. Water changes are every other day, removing about half the water with a turkey baster. I'm removing debris from the bottom of the tank every day before feedings. No salt, but I have IAL and the water stays nice and dark.

#9 ·
I'll change feeding habbits and see what happens. Thank you so much for replying :)

RU, the mother is a green CT with really long rays. I'm hoping her long rays will carry over to the female fry. The male is a red, blue and black CT. He's pretty typical, but his rays are even and long and his body is shaped well. No back hump or spoon head. I have yet to get good pictures of either of them >.< Something I have to work on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.