Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Marineland LED 10 gallon hood

Hey, I recently picked up the LED marineland hood. It has a white light setting and a blue light setting. The blue light is neat, but a bit too bright for me to feel comfortable really leaving it on at night. But maybe in the evening.

Could plants be happy with such a set up? I was told by some customers there that they had some freshwater planted tanks that loved the light. Should have done more research first.

They seem incredibly bright. But I don't know if LEDs don't give out good light.

Can I keep plants? What light level plants would work? I was hoping to at least have the option of growing some medium light plants. But if I can't, I suppose that's fine.

purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have to vote no.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 
Relic

Sure. You can grow most low light plants, I imagine. Java ferns,Java moss and anubias come to mind. You can probably grow anything you want...if they say they require high/moderate light you can still grow them in low light conditions...they will just grow slower. Adding fertilizers will help as well.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

Eh, I really am looking to have a set up that gives at least a good amount of light. I might return this hood or sell it to someone who isn't interested in getting plants. Was wanting them to grow fast so they will eat up more ammonia.

I'm not good at figuring out lighting.

Can anyone link me to a good light set up to get medium light plants in a 10 gallon or 20 gallon tall?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #5 
Relic

Just get a light hood with that has the single tube bulb{usually around $20 or so} ..replace the bulb it comes with, with something else. I'm a big fan of power-glo and life-glo bulbs. This is my planted 10 gallon with a power-glo bulb.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

In my local stores the only hoods I've seen with lights are with these little yellow fluorescent lights only. Pretty much my options were those or the LED one I have now. What was the name of your hood? I'm probably going to have to get it online.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 
Silverfang

This one would be perfect. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11248153
IT even comes with a 6700k bulb. If you replaced the other bulb with another 6700k tube you might be able to get some medium light plants.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #8 
starrlamia

I would say no it wont be bright enough or have the correct par for plants to be able to use it.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #9 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
In my local stores the only hoods I've seen with lights are with these little yellow fluorescent lights only. Pretty much my options were those or the LED one I have now. What was the name of your hood? I'm probably going to have to get it online.
I really can't remember what the name brand is...I can't even find it on the hood. I think it may be aqueon or marina.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #10 
starrlamia

marineland double brights work for plants, as an fyi. Flourescent lights can also work.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote