Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #1 
Nanjan

Exclamation My Male Betta is sick and nothing seems to be helping :(

I'm new to the Betta Fish world and am quite concerned about my male Betta Linus, he was happy go lucky when I got him. I purchased a larger 2.5 gallon tank for him and also purchased a female betta Sally. The tank that I bought has a slatted separation wall that goes down the middle and I was assured by the associate that the two of them would be fine together...I was so excited!

They were fine, they even approached each other through the slatted wall and would show off their fins and puff up their gills to each other. They continued to be happy for some time.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago that Linus had changed, He would hide in the little cave I put in his side of the tank, he was lethargic, his color changed became dull and not vibrant or metallic at all. His fins are completely clamped and he just lies at the bottom of the tank. He's refusing to eat also. Sally on the other hand is fine...I have explained in more detail below.

Housing
What size is your tank?
2.5 Gallon bow front with lid. (from petsmart)
What temperature is your tank?
72F
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Yes other
Is your tank heated?
No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
female betta, they are separated
Has a slatted division in the middle of the tank, shared with female

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Wardley Tropical Betta Food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?
twice a day morning and evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Topfin Water Conditioner and Betta Fix as of the last 3 weeks
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?
Not Yet, was told by the associate at PetSmart it should not be an issue as bettas are hardy fish

Symptoms and Treatment

Sally (female) is fine. Linus (male) has become dull, lethargic, lost appetite, lays at the bottom of the tank, sometime freaks out and starts running into everything. He's got clamped fins and tiny specks all over his body.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About 3 weeks ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Went to petsmart and the associate told me it was most likely Ich and to separate them for 24 hours and treat the communal tank with betta fix. I placed them each in a smaller tank, did a 100% cleaning and water change of the 2.5 gallon tank, placed water back in the tank, put water conditioner in the tank as per bottle instructions, added Betta Fix as well. After 24 hours I put them back together in the tank with the separation as before. Since then I have continued to perform 50% water changes every few days. The water that I use for the water change I let sit overnight with water conditioner and the betta fix. I didn't notice much improvement so I went back to petsmart and was going to purchase a small water heater and a submersible water thermometer. The girl told me not to waste my money as it wasn't necessary. I did buy a thermometer but it's the one that sticks to the outside of the tank not sure how accurate they are. I don't want to lose Linus I've become quite fond of him but I'm scared it's gotten to the point of no return

I will be going to Petsmart tomorrow to purchase a submersible thermometer, water heater and water testing kit. In the mean time any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Nanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #2 
KevinPham123

- Get heater asap!
- Recommend not to use betta fix as I heard it can damage the betta's labyrinth organ
- Separate the two fish. Allowing them to see each other all the time can make the situation worst. Also keeping 2 bettas in a 2.5 gallon is not recommended. Is too small and the ammonia levels build up very quickly and can be fatal.
- The conditioner should be added every time a water change is done. Chlorine and Chloramine are chemicals that can be found in your tap water (if you are using tap water) and can be fatal to fish as well.
- Do a 100 percent water change now. Make sure the water is not too cold or too hot.
- Feeding them 3-4 pellets per betta a day is enough.
- They don't need the air stone.

Keep us updated.

Last edited by KevinPham123; 09-04-2012 at 01:24 AM.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #3 
MSG

WOW, you've been using BettaFix for 3 weeks now? I would stop using it tomorrow, and put it away in storage.

I don't think you should house a male/female in the same tank even with a divider. It can cause health problems for both of them. Flaring/puffing gills is not a sign of happiness. It's a display of aggression, like how a dog barks when it feels threatened.

You should stop asking the employees at the store for help. They're not doing anything but making your betta worse.

You should post a picture of your tank, curious to see how you set it up.

I think you need to get a adjustable heater for your tank. You male sounds like he's cold.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Each betta is different. some can tolerate the prescence of another some cannot.

Your biggest problem is temperature. 72 is terribly low and is likely the cause of lethargy. eventually the cold will affect the female as well.
it is recommended that you get a heater or move them to a warmer part of the house ( with stable temperatures) if you cannot purchase a heater right away.

Your water change schedule should be - 50% half way through the week. and as close to 100% as possible at the end of the week. dont forget to gravel vacuum

it is also recommended that your betta be fed twice a day. 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night.

remember to give somewhere for the bettas to hide

What kind of tank do you have?and whay other type of aeration?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #5 
Nanjan

Last edited by Nanjan; 09-04-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #6 
Nanjan

Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #7 
Nanjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanjan View Post
I'm new to the Betta Fish world and am quite concerned about my male Betta Linus, he was happy go lucky when I got him. I purchased a larger 2.5 gallon tank for him and also purchased a female betta Sally. The tank that I bought has a slatted separation wall that goes down the middle and I was assured by the associate that the two of them would be fine together...I was so excited!

They were fine, they even approached each other through the slatted wall and would show off their fins and puff up their gills to each other. They continued to be happy for some time.

I noticed about 3 weeks ago that Linus had changed, He would hide in the little cave I put in his side of the tank, he was lethargic, his color changed became dull and not vibrant or metallic at all. His fins are completely clamped and he just lies at the bottom of the tank. He's refusing to eat also. Sally on the other hand is fine...I have explained in more detail below.

Housing
What size is your tank?
2.5 Gallon bow front with lid. (from petsmart)
What temperature is your tank?
72F
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Yes other
Is your tank heated?
No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
female betta, they are separated
Has a slatted division in the middle of the tank, shared with female

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Wardley Tropical Betta Food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?
twice a day morning and evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Topfin Water Conditioner and Betta Fix as of the last 3 weeks
Water Parameters:
Not Yet, was told by the associate at PetSmart it should not be an issue as bettas are hardy fish

Symptoms and Treatment

Sally (female) is fine. Linus (male) has become dull, lethargic, lost appetite, lays at the bottom of the tank, sometime freaks out and starts running into everything. He's got clamped fins and tiny specks all over his body.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About 3 weeks ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Went to petsmart and the associate told me it was most likely Ich and to separate them for 24 hours and treat the communal tank with betta fix. I placed them each in a smaller tank, did a 100% cleaning and water change of the 2.5 gallon tank, placed water back in the tank, put water conditioner in the tank as per bottle instructions, added Betta Fix as well. After 24 hours I put them back together in the tank with the separation as before. Since then I have continued to perform 50% water changes every few days. The water that I use for the water change I let sit overnight with water conditioner and the betta fix. I didn't notice much improvement so I went back to petsmart and was going to purchase a small water heater and a submersible water thermometer. The girl told me not to waste my money as it wasn't necessary. I did buy a thermometer but it's the one that sticks to the outside of the tank not sure how accurate they are. I don't want to lose Linus I've become quite fond of him but I'm scared it's gotten to the point of no return

I will be going to Petsmart tomorrow to purchase a submersible thermometer, water heater and water testing kit. In the mean time any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

I see. it is completely possible for the male side of tank to be more toxic because of the divder. how much of the current goes through?

for heater, the preset ones can work. I highly eecommend the adjustable 25watts though....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

If it were me, I would do a 100% water change and clean out the gravel to get rid of anything that has fallen into it like poop, uneatten food. ect and stop the bettafix.

NEVER TRUST PETSMART OR PETCO EMPLOYEES - THAT IS RULE No. 1
!
does he look like he is covered in salt?
like this- if so, you need to treat for ich which is a parasite and that would need to be treated with some kind of parasite medicine like Quick Cure.

However, I think one of his problem is the tank is too small for two fish. Ammonia will build up quickly and the only way to get rid of it is by water changes every week. He may also be cold, like others have suggested and/or stressed out by the female betta. The 2.5 minibow is a nice tank but for one fish, not two. try removing the female into something else (a storage container will work if its at least 2 gallons-just make sure its covered as females like to jump. Saran wrap works well but be sure to poke holes in it), do a 100% water change and see if it males ANY difference at all. As soon as you can get a heater - that will be great too. 25 watt adjustable ones are much better then say the tetra preset ones but if that's all you can find, its better then nothing.

If you want to keep them together, you can divide up a 5 or 10 gallon tank. That will give them enough of their own space and you can cycle a 5 gallon tank (if you do not know about the nitrogen cycle and you choose to go with the 5 Gallon and use a filter - please read up on it).

Quote:
Yes, they are more hardy then most fish but one still needs to keep their water clean. Sometimes I want to strangle petstore employees for their pure...stupidity. Unless you plan on upgrading to a 5 gallon or bigger and cycling the tank, you don't really need the water test kits. HOWEVER, if you can get the ammonia test kit (liquid one not the strips) I think its a good idea. That way you know exactly where you stand with regards to the ammonia level.

EDIT:

either take a close up pic of him or shine a flashlight on him. What you are looking for is anything that looks like gold specks or gold flakes. Velvet is another parasite but normally you can only see it by shining a flashlight on the fish or taking a flash picture. Velvet can also cause the symptoms you are seeing.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-04-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #10 
MSG

Nanjan sorry if I used the word, "SHOULD" too much. When I'm up late at night I'm always thinking what I SHOULD be doing in the morning.

I can tell you're trying to upload a picture, but click on the "Go Advanced Button" try to preview your message first to see if the picture shows up.

I think the type of tank you probably own is this one ......

Aqueon Aquarium Mini-Bow 2.5 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Kit
http://s.petco.com/assets/product_im...5177788CS1.jpg

This Aqueon tank is like a prison for bettas. I would think within a month or two your fish will start to display diseases & fin rot type issues.

Try to buy a ADJUSTABLE heater.

These plastic toy tanks are really only suitable for temporary housing due to lack of.....
  • space
  • heat
  • poorly designed filtration system (I don't like the setup of this filter)
I personally like to give my fish larger space to play in unless they're injured or sick.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote