Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

couple quick questions

1.are black mollies compatible with male bettas?

2.im making a DIY divider...can i use metal coat hangers as support brackets?i know not to use metal in tanks,but have seen brackets that are metal.and metal coat hangers are usually coated with some kind of plastic but just want to know if i could use a metal coat hanger as a bracket for the top?
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #2 
MSG

I would say no to both

1. Mollys require slightly salty water or they'll get sick and die. Brackish fish they are....
  2. Aluminum is the material used in most hangers, very reactive metal and there's different grades of it. I'm sure the ones used in making hangers are relatively low grade. Also I don't know what other chemicals they coat it with, but I'm pretty sure the metal isn't AQ safe whatsoever.
How your sick male betta doing? Heard he's betta now?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #3 
MollyJean

Mollies are aggressive fish and most of the time, they fight. That being said, I've heard of several people who keep them together, but wouldn't suggest it. There is bound to be a bit of fighting. Plus, Mollies need slightly salty water.

Yeah, what MSG said, lol

As for the coat hanger, I would advise against it. Yes, some coat hangers are coated, but any bending or movement might break the coating off. Not only would that expose the metal, you risk getting plastic chips in your tank.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  1. Mollys require slightly salty water or they'll get sick and die. Brackish fish they are....
  2. Aluminum is the material used in most hangers, very reactive metal and there's different grades of it. I'm sure the ones used in making hangers are relatively low grade. Also I don't know what other chemicals they coat it with, but I'm pretty sure the metal isn't AQ safe whatsoever.
How your sick male betta doing? Heard he's betta now?
oh yes i forgot bout that.i mean i read that they were mixed with bettas..but didnt think about the brackish water required and them getting sick..im glad i asked..

i need to find some way of mounting my dividers.i surly dont want to harm my fish.how about mounting the hanger going across the top where it doesnt touch water?what r ur thoughts on that?

yes he is doing great,back to him old self again,he is still in the 1 gallon hospital tank for safe measures..but it has been his temp home for a while.a reason i want to get these dividers made and up.im tired of seeing him in a small tank.and thank you for asking MSG :)
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Mollies are aggressive fish and most of the time, they fight. That being said, I've heard of several people who keep them together, but wouldn't suggest it. There is bound to be a bit of fighting. Plus, Mollies need slightly salty water.

Yeah, what MSG said, lol

As for the coat hanger, I would advise against it. Yes, some coat hangers are coated, but any bending or movement might break the coating off. Not only would that expose the metal, you risk getting plastic chips in your tank.
a person on craigslist is giving away a 10 gallon along with 9 mollies..i hope they have 2 filters in it.if not thats over stocking the tank.i was going to divide them and put some in my other 10 gallon with a betta.but i think ill skip on that.and transfer them to my 20 gallon hex and take out my rosy red minnows and put them in the 10 gallon.luckily this person lives rite across the street.

i think ill skip using it,or atleast having it sit in water.maybe i could grab a couple plastic ones then at the top heat up the coat hanger and then push it into the plastic hanger so it creates a barrier between the water and hanger..only allowing the top part of the metal to stick out to grip on the tank itself..and i surly wouldnt want to get any plastic pieces in there and the fish decide to take a bite or anything.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #6 
tsukiowns

I dont use anything for my DIY dividers but the gravel and stayed up u tip I took them down and my Betta never got to each other... As long as you have enough gravel and a frame for it like the plastic folder strips they recommend the divider will stay up if you look at my profile I have a pic of my aq... Even the divider that they sell in petstores have a metal an that rusted on me so I took it out... Hope that helps with the divider info
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #7 
MSG

If someone is giving away a "3" tank, get it first & rehome the mollies or trade them for other aquarium toys.

The mollies I had died from lack of salt. Never understood why, but I didn't care much back then. Now that I know, I don't plan on owning mollies again.

I can't think of any reason to use those metal hangers. PPL throw them away for a reason.

If I use anything in a AQ it's going to be a 18/10 grade steel or higher. I think they have a marine grade of steel too, but I'm more of a land based person, so it's not my area of expertise.

I would put the bait fish minnows into the molly tank. Mollies would be better in a Hex tank I think.

I like to see my bettas. a Hex has too many sides that obstruct my view, that's why I don't like them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #8 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiowns View Post
I dont use anything for my DIY dividers but the gravel and stayed up u tip I took them down and my Betta never got to each other... As long as you have enough gravel and a frame for it like the plastic folder strips they recommend the divider will stay up if you look at my profile I have a pic of my aq... Even the divider that they sell in petstores have a metal an that rusted on me so I took it out... Hope that helps with the divider info
i have 2 things of black mesh #7 canvas as ive seen online for the DIY project.i got 6 of the plastic strips from walmart as well..i just didnt know if it would be strong enough.my females are quiet aggressive.i do want to make sure they dont get through.....i will look at ur pix.i want to see how it is and get an idea for myself ;)

the divider i seen at petsmart was for 10 dollars and had metal prongs to hold the top.its y i asked about using coat hangers..but if they rusted then thats not good...im a welder and no alot about metal..and i surly dont want it seeping into my tank....that absolutely helps :)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
If someone is giving away a "3" tank, get it first & rehome the mollies or trade them for other aquarium toys.

The mollies I had died from lack of salt. Never understood why, but I didn't care much back then. Now that I know, I don't plan on owning mollies again.

I can't think of any reason to use those metal hangers. PPL throw them away for a reason.

If I use anything in a AQ it's going to be a 18/10 grade steel or higher. I think they have a marine grade of steel too, but I'm more of a land based person, so it's not my area of expertise.

I would put the bait fish minnows into the molly tank. Mollies would be better in a Hex tank I think.

I like to see my bettas. a Hex has too many sides that obstruct my view, that's why I don't like them.
i just got the tank..in the process of setting it up now...where would i trade them off at for AQ toys?i mean other than craigslist..

the woman that gave them to me didnt seem to know too much about fish..1 of the females is pregnant..will give birth any day..she has gone through sets of fries and gave more than 100 away or to some store where u can give them and they sell them..

about the only steel id like to use is stainless.but id rather not have to use metal if possible..

my hex tank i got for free.a neighbor through it away because it had a crack and leaked..i repaired all the leaks and patched up the crack.its been going for over a week..but i agree it is harder to see bcuz of all the sides..and there is more space in it for the mollies..i made a powerhead filters so i know its strong enough to keep the tank clean than the stock filter that came with the 10..