Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
It is the Tetra Wonders tank.
What sort of accessories are you talking about that I'd need for it?
I saw a 10 gallon tank on sale for $20 at the grocery store today, which seemed pretty good, but space is kind of an issue. And that seemed like a big tank for one fish, especially if I get more than one (all three kids want a betta fish).
I'll check out those 5 gallon starter kits. I did see a nice looking 3 gallon tank with LED lighting... but then again I'm concerned about the adjustable heater. I feel like I need a bigger tank to get a heater that would work.
Good to know about the sale at PetSmart. I'm annoyed with them, because I bought all this there and asked a ton of questions, and kind of feel like I just need to start over now. But I should probably just get over that. ;)
xShainix - have you had any problems with your little heaters? I've seen varied reviews on those...
I'm not sure where you are, but Pet Supplies Plus sells a nice 2.5g glass aquarium...it's a good size. I also saw that PSP had some decent adjustable heaters in different sizes, the small ones being only $10. There will be a ton of suggestions on here, so consider your needs/ability, and how much water changes etc. you are willing to do. Best of luck, and congrats on exploring the betta fish world!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #12 
rebobinar

Thanks everyone! That's all very helpful.
If I set up a 10g tank with dividers, do I need to make the dividers myself? Or can I buy them?
And this might be a stupid newbie question, but don't I need to keep the tank close to a water source? I'm wondering how to do water changes on a 10g... it seems like I should keep it in the bathroom or kitchen in that case, since I can't easily carry a 10 g tank around the house...
I like the idea of having a hospital tank. Then I don't feel like the other one is a waste. ;)
I'm thinking, too, about a 5 gallon divided tank for the girls to have in their room if I can figure out the water source issue for water changes. And then maybe just get a 2.5 gallon for my son's room when he's a bit older...
(BTW - my kids help feed the fish and monitor the fish, but I'd never turn over fish care to them yet - they're 11, 7, and 4... not trusting them with a little tiny life, yet!)
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

The ten gallon divided is a good idea, but kids being kids being kids my guess is that they each want their own tank /:. Depending on how old the kids are I would recommend something on the larger side(2.5+gallons) because it requires less maintenance. A filter also makes for less maintenance. I'm pretty sure an adjustable 25w heater would be fine in a 2.5 gallon tank. I have a 50w in my 5 gallon and it has been working perfectly for 8 months now.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #14 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
look for an adjustable 25w. those usually heats well. even in a 1g
+1 on this!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #15 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Thanks everyone! That's all very helpful.
If I set up a 10g tank with dividers, do I need to make the dividers myself? Or can I buy them?
And this might be a stupid newbie question, but don't I need to keep the tank close to a water source? I'm wondering how to do water changes on a 10g... it seems like I should keep it in the bathroom or kitchen in that case, since I can't easily carry a 10 g tank around the house...
I like the idea of having a hospital tank. Then I don't feel like the other one is a waste. ;)
I'm thinking, too, about a 5 gallon divided tank for the girls to have in their room if I can figure out the water source issue for water changes. And then maybe just get a 2.5 gallon for my son's room when he's a bit older...
(BTW - my kids help feed the fish and monitor the fish, but I'd never turn over fish care to them yet - they're 11, 7, and 4... not trusting them with a little tiny life, yet!)
I have 6 tanks from 1g to 5.5g..I have two buckets kept just for water changes...an inexpensive aquarium vac you can find most places is great for this, you just start a siphon, put the end in a bucket, and vac the water and fish waste out of the water...water change schedule will depend on the size of the tank, how many fish you have in it, and whether or not you run a filter..
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #16 
Bettanewbie60

Oh, and I just made my first divider for a 10g I am doing...it was really easy! Just craft mesh, and report binder slides..the plastic part. I have a link somewhere I will send you!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #17 
rebobinar

Thank you! I would love that link!
So you just use your siphon and bucket in whatever room you're in. Dump the bucket. Then add more water?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #18 
rebobinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
I'm not sure where you are, but Pet Supplies Plus sells a nice 2.5g glass aquarium...it's a good size. I also saw that PSP had some decent adjustable heaters in different sizes, the small ones being only $10. There will be a ton of suggestions on here, so consider your needs/ability, and how much water changes etc. you are willing to do. Best of luck, and congrats on exploring the betta fish world!
Thank you!
Is the general rule of thumb that a larger tank is easier, or harder? I originally thought a small tank would be easy because I could just dump all the water in the sink, rinse, and refill... but it seems like people think a larger tank means less maintenance. Is that right?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #19 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Thank you! I would love that link!
So you just use your siphon and bucket in whatever room you're in. Dump the bucket. Then add more water?
I'm still looking for the link...but, I can probably just tell you how I did it..it took like 10 minutes, someone else might have easy access to the link too.
Yes, I just bring the buckets into my room, make sure I have everything together first. I keep a couple of 1g jugs of conditioned water at room temp, always ready to do a change, this helps with waiting for the water to come up to temp. So, have your water ready, get your buckets, have a cup to scoop your betta out of the tank and into, you can use a net, but these can damage fins, so if you can get used to cupping them all the better. Remove betta from tank, make sure you cover the cup before you do anything else! They are jumpers lol. Now that your betta is safe, put the vac end of the hose in the tank, start the siphon with your mouth, place that end in bucket...vac the bottom of the tank as well as you can if doing a 50%. If doing 100% just let the siphon remove almost all of the water, then empty the rest. If you remove the items in the tank, just set them in the bucket with the old water. If you have a filter, shut it off first, then remove the filter pad, and swish off the junk in the old water in the bucket. Replace filter pad and decor, add your conditioned water, check temp, and ph of water...and add your fish gently back into his tank. It sounds like a lot, but once you have a routine down it is easy!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #20 
MSG

I never understood what you could keep in a tank this small until I came across bettas. I bought my first betta because I wanted a RED guppy, but they don't come glorious blood RED, sapphire BLUE or PURPLE spinel.

• These 1.5G-2.5 gallon betta style tanks are designed for kids. Due to their size and their cuteness when properly setup. The biggest problem is.... the fish you bring home don't live long because these tank kits are missing key pieces of equipment to keep them healthy. Mainly the adjustable HEATER not a preset one.
People usually buy them because employees say that's all you NEED. If you end up being convinced to buy a preset heater, then your total should be about $40-$50

• Usually a month later your fish is sick, you have to go there and buy $5-$10 medication and then your fish dies. Usually they get sick from being cold @ night when the temperature drops.
Now you have an empty tank that you paid at least $25-$35 for. So what do you do with it now?

• IMO, it's just cheaper to get the 10G kit if you can get them @ Walmart.
Also keep in mind you may be able to get them even better deal on Black Friday. I would recommend you wait for the larger tank, but get a ADJUSTABLE heater for now.

• Do some research on which heater you want. There's at least 12 heaters I would recommend but it depends on the tank you plan on buying & the look you want to achieve.
  • You could just use a standard incandescent 25w light bulb with the plastic 1.5 cover removed to heat up the tank from 8pm-5am until you get a heater. Those bulbs are much betta at generating heat than light.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote