Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #21 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
Thank you!
Is the general rule of thumb that a larger tank is easier, or harder? I originally thought a small tank would be easy because I could just dump all the water in the sink, rinse, and refill... but it seems like people think a larger tank means less maintenance. Is that right?
A larger tank is easier in regards to less water changes. The ammonia builds up quickly in a smaller tank, but I find the smaller ones easier to do water changes, so it is really up to you, how much time you have to attend to the tanks and how often, how much water you want to change. Yes, a larger tank with a filter will require water changes less often, but you still need to do them. My 1g bowls are done every couple days 100%, but they are quick and easy to do. My 5g tanks are filtered, so I don't have to change water as often, but of course there is more water to change out. It is all a matter of preference I think.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #22 
purplemuffin

It's easier to mess up in a small tank. Missing a day of water changes is more like missing two or three days of a larger tank. Ammonia builds up fast in a small space, so you have to keep on it. It's also less room for error in regards to heating. But if you are punctual and always on top of it, a small tank is indeed easy to clean.

It's really all about your schedule and preference. I like the big tanks, but my fiance likes the smaller ones. Also I don't think my plakat could handle anything smaller. He thinks he's a jet plane or something and zips around like no one's business. More than one person have asked if I have multiple blue fish in there...Nope..that's just him swimming around like a crazy fish!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #23 
Friendlyfishies

I love 3.5 and 5.5 gals best...I just got a 6.6 and it has a lot of room for my new betta bit its a pain to keep up with! Im doing a fish in cycle and I have to do water changes twice a week and its a lot of water to remove and replace...if he were in a smaller tank the water changes would be much simpler...I also think my guy isnt a fan of all the space, he seems nervous even with the plants. I find the 2.5 temp changes too much tho...too warm to too cold vice versa so becareful with that. I guess my fav over all would be a 3.5, its an easy size to maintain and give the fish plenty of room. I have my 2 male guppies in a 3.5 glofish. The lighting sucks lol, but the size is great and its really easy to maintain. They sell the 3.5 glowfish at petco for about 25...comes with light and filter, all you have to add is a small betta heater. Good luck!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #24 
Bettanewbie60

Here is the link for the DIY divider...some people use aquarium silicone to secure theirs..I just cut mine tight enough to not need it..this way I can change the tank back anytime I want.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #25 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
It's easier to mess up in a small tank. Missing a day of water changes is more like missing two or three days of a larger tank. Ammonia builds up fast in a small space, so you have to keep on it. It's also less room for error in regards to heating. But if you are punctual and always on top of it, a small tank is indeed easy to clean.

It's really all about your schedule and preference. I like the big tanks, but my fiance likes the smaller ones. Also I don't think my plakat could handle anything smaller. He thinks he's a jet plane or something and zips around like no one's business. More than one person have asked if I have multiple blue fish in there...Nope..that's just him swimming around like a crazy fish!
+1 I agree, it has a lot to do with how much work you want to do with a tank. And I also had two males who just didn't like the 5.5g, and yet, my fast swimming female loves it...it can depend on the fish too. Hey I am in Ga..are you north or south?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #26 
rebobinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
[*] Do some research on which heater you want. There's at least 12 heaters I would recommend but it depends on the tank you plan on buying & the look you want to achieve.[/list]
I was thinking of getting the Elite Submersible 25w heater. It's the only one I found with decent reviews (except for the one guy who said his exploded...)
Does that seem like a good one? If not, could you recommend one?
I think I'm going to stick with the 1.5 gallon for just a bit, and then upgrade. I just want to make sure I can manage to keep a fish well for more than a week before investing a lot more money. (Other than for the new heater and fish - I'm definitely getting those - and I have a thermometer now)
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #27 
rebobinar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
+1 I agree, it has a lot to do with how much work you want to do with a tank. And I also had two males who just didn't like the 5.5g, and yet, my fast swimming female loves it...it can depend on the fish too. Hey I am in Ga..are you north or south?
I'm in Seattle. :)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #28 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
I was thinking of getting the Elite Submersible 25w heater. It's the only one I found with decent reviews (except for the one guy who said his exploded...)
Does that seem like a good one? If not, could you recommend one?
I think I'm going to stick with the 1.5 gallon for just a bit, and then upgrade. I just want to make sure I can manage to keep a fish well for more than a week before investing a lot more money. (Other than for the new heater and fish - I'm definitely getting those - and I have a thermometer now)
I think you will do great with the 1.5. Just keep up with your water changes. If you have any concerns..post again here, or message me, I'll be glad to answer any questions!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #29 
Bettanewbie60

And just don't get overwhelmed...best tips..Warm, clean water, and good quality food.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #30 
rebobinar

Thank you so much!