Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #21 
KevinPham123

The white fuzz is either a fungal infection, which will show up as a secondary infection to an injury, or a columnaris infection-which is bacterial. Bettas immune systems drop heavily if they are exposed to low temperatures.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator

^+1
stress from the new environment without proper acclimitisation as well as cold water = poor immune system = prone to dieases.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #23 
MeaghanElizabeth

I have moved his tank into a tub of warm water, he seems somewhat active now in comparison to earlier. His gills are moving a lot though and he keeps opening his mouth every 10 seconds.
MeaghanElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #24 
MeaghanElizabeth

Im off to pet land now to buy a thermometer and a heater
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #25 
MeaghanElizabeth

Bought a heater and a thermometer! The thermometer says its at.. 81 fahrenheit. This is the temperature since the tanks been in the bath. I have not turned the heater on yet as my thermometer says its meant to be in the green area for tropical fish ( Between 70 and 80 F ). I will turn it on after it drops to 78ish.

My fish is still totally lothargic. Petland workers said this is common and not to worry because they usually do this when first exposed to new environments?..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #26 
ao
TFK Moderator

81 is perfect :)

78-82 is ideal ;) dont believe the thermometer :P

I've yet to have fish be lethargic on me when introduced to new environments. but it can happen. best to keep him warm and keep an eye out on the patch on his chin.

Did you get any aquarium salt? or was your table salt pure enough to use?

Btw, lethargy isnt normal XD it means something is wrong... we will just have to figure out what :O

Last edited by ao; 09-04-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #27 
MeaghanElizabeth

R.I.P. Marsden :(
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #28 
ao
TFK Moderator

:( RIP marsden.

Perhaps in his stead another betta will live a wonderful life...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #29 
MeaghanElizabeth

Yes i agree. Atleast his suffering is over now. And now i have a heater and thermometer for my next fish!

How should i go about sterilizing this tank and objects so the next fish does not get whatever Marsden got?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

You can wipe the the entire tank using 1 part white vinegar to 9 parts water. And then rinse it very well with hot water, you can use boiling water if your bowl is made of glass.

let it dry.

You can also boil the gravel. and other decorations that can be boiled.

hydrogen peroxide is also another option. The wash everything thoroughly. let dry for a while. leaving everything in the sun for a week is also a good idea :)

Make sure you acclimatize the new few fish properly. when selecting fish, try to go for the most active healthy looking (no fin rot etcetc). you can ask petland when their fish comes in and try to get your fish that day, before it goes through petshop abuse.

Here is a video of my fish. he is extra healthy. you can also view other youtube videos that might give you an idea of what a healthy etta should look like.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...4C7D74800D.mp4

Bettas being lazy is a misconception. mine zooms around the tank all day from end to end, he's a complete ball of energy. (I'm flaring him because he was just overfed)