Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #1 
CandiceMM

Smile My new 20 gallon long Betta Condo :)(pic Spam)

Hi everybody!!! I took advantage of Petco's $1 per gallon and got a 20 long to consolidate my Betta's! I made a Betta condo for 5 lucky guys of mine. They each have 4 gallons to themselves. I went the DIY way with homemade dividers made out of crafting mesh from Michaels Craft store for .59 cents a piece! Can't really beat that! Here are some pictures of my adventure over the weekend..

Here is the tank with the dividers and sand all in place.

Here is a shot of the tank from the front.

These are the materials I used for my DIY dividers. I used crafting mesh from Michaels and then for the edged to make it sturdy I went to Walmart in the office supplies and I got a couple packs of folder dividers. I cut the mesh to size then slid the dividers along the edge. It made it very sturdy and the inch of sand was enough to hold them in place without aquarium sealant.

Here are the 5 guy's I chose to live in the new diggs. They are floating to get acclimated :)

Just a close up.

Here is a view from the top of my tank, I put the filter in the middle of the tank in hopes it will help with water movement to the edges of the tank.

All decorations in tank are temporary other than all my live plants. I just wanted them to have cover until I can go out and get permanent decorations. I love all my new plants which include water sprite, hornwort, anubias nana, duckweed, and others that I can't name off the top of my head.
Here are a couple of my guys all happy in their new home.

On the left is Murda my combtail and on the right is Ezio my cutie DTHMPK.

Here is our white HM that we call White Boy as a nickname lol.

This is Honey Bee my yellow HM :) I couldn't get any of my 5th guy he is very shy.

Thanks for checking out my weekend Betta Condo project! Hope you all had a great holiday weekend. Now it's bedtime for me!!!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Looks like a really professional job. Your dividers are so straight. I don't have that lip on my tanks, so my DIY dividers look like they are drunk half the time.

Good size sections for each betta too. Lucky little fish!
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #3 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Looks like a really professional job. Your dividers are so straight. I don't have that lip on my tanks, so my DIY dividers look like they are drunk half the time.

Good size sections for each betta too. Lucky little fish!

Thanks LittleBettaFish :) I was pretty anal when cutting my dividers and I wanted to make sure I found and edge so I wouldn't have loose dividers with the risk of one getting to the other side. I got the edges of it from Walmart, for 3 it cost under 2 bucks. I think it's well worth it. Maybe it's time to sober up your dividers lol!! Thanks for looking at my thread :)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I thought about doing that with my 20G long but went with a soriety instead. Does the filter work with the ones on the end?

looks good
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #5 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I thought about doing that with my 20G long but went with a soriety instead. Does the filter work with the ones on the end?

looks good
Okay from what I noticed there is slight water movement on the edges. I have not seen the protein build up on the top of thank yet and it has been up and running for over a day. I'll keep you posted on that in the next few days to see how it is going. With the filter I baffled it a bit with sponge from the dollar store and added a ton of Hornwort under the output so for my two that share the filter section wont get blown around too much. Plus I chose two of my HMPK with shorter fins for those spots. They all seem very happy, I know I am extremely happy with the outcome! I may make one more in a couple of weeks for 5 more of my breeders.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #6 
katydidmischief

I am completely in love with your set up an your little plaket boy. (I think I'm falling for Plakets!) And I think I need to hit Petco since I didn't know they were having their 1$ per gal sale!
katydidmischief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #7 
Friendlyfishies

When did they have the sale????! Im guessing this weekend and its over now? Nice tank & beautiful fish!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #8 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidmischief View Post
I am completely in love with your set up an your little plaket boy. (I think I'm falling for Plakets!) And I think I need to hit Petco since I didn't know they were having their 1$ per gal sale!
Thanks :) Half Moon Plakats are my favorite and my weakness!!! Petco will be doing the sale until Sept 22nd so almost the whole month! I will be doing another 20 gallon for 5 more of my breeders and I can't wait!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 
CandiceMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
When did they have the sale????! Im guessing this weekend and its over now? Nice tank & beautiful fish!
Thanks Friendlyfishies! They started the sale last Sunday and it goes until thee 22nd of Sept. They are doing 10 gallons to 55 gallons. Such a great idea!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #10 
MSG

I was always wondering what your tanks looked like.

I really like your version of the dividers. What did you use to stabilize the divider on the top to keep the whole thing from sliding side to side?

Don't you think making them hammocks encourages them to be lazy? My betta Akoya would use anything near the surface so he didn't have to swim. Because of this habit he's lazy, and only swims out for feeding time & then back to this driftwood sofa. Like a fish version of a couch potato.

Akoya was the most active when he was busy eating all guppies and c shrimp. He loves to knock the snails off the walls of the tank but doesn't eat them. He stopped making bubble nests like 4-6 months ago.

I prefer to use a tall plant for them to hang out on, because it forces them to still balance themselves. When they're laying inside the hammocks they can literally just do NOTHING.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote