Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #1 
maggie9059789

Suggestions for what to do when new betta's scared of filter

Hey everyone, so I just a new betta that's a bit skitish, when st the pet store. He had quite a stessful trip home with him flipping out when at the cash register sunlight hit his cup. This morning when I woke up, he had heavy breathing. So far I dont see much signs of ammonia poisoning or anything. I checked the temp it's fine. (26'c) And tried turning off filter and he seemed to be a bit more chill and breathing is a bit better. I already have the water bottle baffle. And after typing this message I'm going to stuff a sponge into the in take tube, and on the outtake waterfall part along with the water bottle baffle. I was wondering what else I can do if he still gets scared. (like he's scared of the sound it makes and not just bothered by the current) I'm not fully sure of what part he's scared of yet but I just want a list of stuff I can try so I feel more prepared and can stop being too paranoid.
(It's a five gallon tank, with aquaclear 20 filter with sponge insert, ammonia remover and biomax filter cartidges. He has a dark cave, spongebob pineapple house and two plants in the tank. I plan on getting a zoo med salvoa plant soon so he has a near surface resting area)

Thanks in advance for eveyone providing feedback
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Sounds like you've done all you can to minimize the current and sound of the filter. Another thing you can do is turn down the flow by pushing the intake tube to the right. A 20 is a pretty hefty filter for a 5gal so that should help. If it continues to bother him, maybe look into a smaller filter like the Azoo Palm Filter.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #3 
maggie9059789

Okies thanks :) man this new lil guy must be stressed :( he wont even eat yet. Lool I'm just so used to bettas that are like piggies and are all agressive. This guy is the exact opposite as of right now so far haha. And in case the baffling doesnt work, and I cannt find the filter you've suggested above, what other filters would u recommend for a betta who's really skittish.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Marineland Duetto 50 is an internal filter that works well. The Fluval Nano Internal Filter will work but I have heard that is noisy. I'll check on other filters.

I've had some that won't eat for a week so this isn't unusual. Keep his tank quiet and let him hide and he should come around.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #5 
maggie9059789

Okies i think I baffled it well enough. The only water movement that I can actually see is some ripples on the surface of the water on one side of the tank. Though his heavy breathing is still bothering me. Ill see of i can get his water tested at my LPS. But iunno what else to do about that. I added a bit more water since it wasnt fully reaching the water level line on heater and that gave me an excuse to add more Prime. There's already the stress coat.

You think that the heavy breathing is just from his constant glass surfing? And the andrenaline of being in a brand new environment making him have "faster than normal" breathing? Or is the only cause from a reaction of something in the water?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #6 
DeviCy

I have an elite stingray filter and it is amazing its nearly silent creates little current and what it does produce I turned towards the glass which baffles it for me and it causes my Betta no distress he also hangs out right by it he doesn't seem to care at all. You may want to look into them they are easy and not expensive.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #7 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Maybe he will chill out in a few days. I have to remind myself when I get a new betta that several of mine seemed tired, freaked out, or super lethargic the first few days I got them home. Later they relaxed. Who knows what they have been through before we got them.

One of mine just "sat and stared" for days, one of mine napped in between 2 leaves for a day or two, and one of mine hid behind the filter for days. They all are fine now. Hopefully it's nothing serious for your guy.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #8 
maggie9059789

Just went to LPS, I didnt know that they did liquid tedting instead of paper so I didnt bring enough water. Though I did have enough for PH testing and the guy said it's alright. "7.1" I think it was. But he had a thick accent so I could barely understand him but it was maybe a dark sky blue? So i guess it's not a sudden spike of PH or anything. (btw just out of curiousity, liquid testing is more accurate than paper right )
Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #9 
DeviCy

Yes liquid is more accurate
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote