Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #11 
Jupiter

I was wondering what the mesh loops at the top were for...so they're hammocks? That's a really cute idea.

Nice tank! I'm getting a 20 gallon long soon myself and splitting it between four boys.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #12 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Looks great! I want to do a similar set-up eventually. Actually I want to do that with 2 Mr Aqua 12 gallon longs if I ever have enough $$$.

1 question- where did you find white report covers? I could only find a rainbow package here at Office Max and I think a lot of the colors look tacky. I would prefer white with white mesh lke you did. . or maybe green with green or white mesh but covered with moss. The yellow and reds would look ugly with my decor.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #13 
tsukiowns

Love the picture that is an amazing bunch of boys you have there
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #14 
BettaQi

Great job bettapro!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #15 
mursey

About that $1 gallon sale, something to think about if you're going to need lights and/or a hood for plant growing:

I got the $10 10 gallon tank during this sale. Then I got an Aquaclear 20 filter. Then I realized I wanted to keep live plants and I needed a hood plus light strip.

My 10 gallon no longer seemed like such a bargain. I probably could have gotten a 10 gallon tank KIT with lights and filter included. Granted I tend to replace the filters now anyway, but still. Here is what I ended up buying:

$10 10 gallon tank from Petco
$26 Aquaclear 20 filter (I read great reviews) from Petco
$35. 10 gallon light hood from Petsmart
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11252590

plus this $15. bulb since Petco Girl didn't know a bulb was already included. :( http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11248157

So not including the extra bulb I didn't really need, I spent about $71 for my 10 gallon set up.

You can get a whole $10 gallon kit for the price of that light hood at Petsmart (tetra brand), sure it probably has a crappier filter but some betta owners don't want a strong filter like the ones I use anyway.

Sorry to go off topic though.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #16 
buddhauser

Looks awesome! I feel your pain mursey im at least $150 or more for my 10 gallon. Can get expensive real fast. I want to do another tank something similar to Candice's though. I have a 10 gallon divided 3 ways but I think you have inspired to go for a 20 gallon instead of another 10. so Thanks! Love this forum.

Last edited by buddhauser; 09-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #17 
mursey

Me too Buddhauser. I too have the 10 gallon 3 ways but I really like Candice's 20 gallon.

2 of my filters broke this month and I think consolidating bettas would be easier for control of the water. . . buying filters, ammonia sensors or testing water parameters, thermometers, heaters, lights, finding outlets to plug stuff in .. etc. (You could arguably buy better quality stuff but just once versus 6 times for my 6 tanks, for example)

I know some people say disease can spread but I think if you have control over your tank it's easier to keep them healthy. How much disease is happening after you have a cycled established tank (and no brand new fish, of course) ?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #18 
Bettanewbie60

Awesome tank! I just finished a similar divider for my 10g this weekend..only thing I did different was I used poster frame plastic slide for the top...it was a lot more rigid. I also cut mine to fit under the lip so that it is stable with no silicone..very nice job there!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #19 
buddhauser

Surprisingly I have not had any disease with any of my fish. The worst thing thats happened was one of my boys started biting his tail fin. I QT for a week and switched him over to the other side of the tank and he has been really happy so far. I do frequent water changes and gravel vac every WC.

Candice is sand difficult to clean? or is it the same as gravel?

Last edited by buddhauser; 09-04-2012 at 04:48 PM.
buddhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #20 
Friendlyfishies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
About that $1 gallon sale, something to think about if you're going to need lights and/or a hood for plant growing:

I got the $10 10 gallon tank during this sale. Then I got an Aquaclear 20 filter. Then I realized I wanted to keep live plants and I needed a hood plus light strip.

My 10 gallon no longer seemed like such a bargain. I probably could have gotten a 10 gallon tank KIT with lights and filter included. Granted I tend to replace the filters now anyway, but still. Here is what I ended up buying:

$10 10 gallon tank from Petco
$26 Aquaclear 20 filter (I read great reviews) from Petco
$35. 10 gallon light hood from Petsmart
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11252590

plus this $15. bulb since Petco Girl didn't know a bulb was already included. :( http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11248157

So not including the extra bulb I didn't really need, I spent about $71 for my 10 gallon set up.

You can get a whole $10 gallon kit for the price of that light hood at Petsmart (tetra brand), sure it probably has a crappier filter but some betta owners don't want a strong filter like the ones I use anyway.

Sorry to go off topic though.
I thought of that too lol, but just the same it would be nice to have a couple extra tanks around for hospital tanks/qt tanks so it could still be worth it??
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote