Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #1 
shelleyvansant

Unhappy My Betta won't eat & I spazzing out!!!

So my Half Moon Betta "Gilford" was taking a breath over a week ago and I was dumb & didn't notice that he had a slime coating up top and he had gotten caught in it and freaked out bad!! I cleaned it out ASAP afterwards and 7-8 days now he hasn't eaten and when I try to get his attention he FREAKS the hell out and runs into the sides of his bowl... His diet consist of Blood worms (he ate 2-3 times a day prior and was a happy bubble nest blowing Betta Fish & he would notice "MY FACE" and flare up & Gil at me) and he's getting a stripped pattern down his stomach area & his eyes are a little bulgy..? Please HELP or someone take him from me to save his life.

P.S. I thought of sticking a female in there (NOTE: I wouldn't let her kill/attack him) cause maybe he will snap out of this and eat and act cute again. He had such a freaking personality!!! :(
Attached Images

shelleyvansant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #2 
LadyVictorian

First off no female they will fight and both will get hurt. No good will ever come of that. A female won't make him feel better she might only stress him out more so or bring in some unknown illness that could kill him.

What it the temp in his tank, how warm is the water?
How often do you clean the tank?
How big is his tank?
How long has it been since he stopped eating?

Also I think you mean crowntail, he's not a halfmoon.

Do you only feed him bloodworms and no pellets? He needs pellets in his diet, bloosworms should only be treats.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-22-2012 at 02:13 AM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #3 
shelleyvansant

I didnt mean I would put them in the same area, I would just put a female up to him. I got it 78 degrees right now, a pinch of sea salt, and I clean it once, twice a week, barely a Gallon bowl he is in, Crowntail is what I meant sorry.... He wont take pellets AT ALL a certain brand of Blood Worms, with the blood still in them... Its been 7 freaking days! Help
shelleyvansant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #4 
magnum

Sea Salt? Like the food one? Clean his tank our immediatly, thats not going to help at all. If you can, get Aquarium Salt, it's different from the human stuff and fairly easy to come by. With a Gallon bowl, also I suggest cleaning it every other day. Has he got a heater? Don't worry to much about not eating betta's can live up to two weeks without food.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #5 
TheCheese909

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change, what brand water conditioner?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Copy and Paste that into your reply and answer as many questions as you possibly can.

You should never add any salt into your tanks unless you are treating any type of illness and those two salts are Aquarium Salt and Epsom Salt. Both of those have very strict guidelines on how to be used so don't just dump any of it into your aquarium or they can cause damage.

This "sea salt" do you mean the kind we cook with or do you mean ocean/reef salt? Both are horrible for Bettas. Bettas are freshwater fish, so they do not need ocean/reef salt, and cooking salts are meant to be used to cook with, not for fish, this can cause them serious problems.

The minimum tank size for a Betta should be 1 gallon, any smaller and they can become very ill, very fast. With a 1 gallon aquarium you should be doing every other day water changes, anything smaller should be cleaned daily, which can stress the fish out.

Bettas can go just fine for a week+ without eating and can live for a month without any food. They should not be fed Bloodworms as their main diet, Bloodworms hold no nutritional value at all and are used as a snack, just like chocolate is for us. You should get him flakes or pellets. Since you have him in such a small tank I recommend feeding him pellets as flakes will make the water cloudy. Aqueon, New Life Spectrum and Omega One are good Betta food brands. I prefer Aqueon the most since their pellets are not huge like the Omega One brand.

If he is not interested in feeding don't try and feed him for 2-3 days. After you should try giving him a single pellet and see if he will eat. You can also buy frozen foods for him, these are much more nutritious and tempting for a Betta. Look for Glass Worms or Brine Shrimp. Brine Shrimp shouldn't be fed more then three times a week however as it's a natural laxative and can cause some internal issues. Glass Worms can be fed daily though and are very good for Bettas as that's what they would eat in the wild (since it's mosquito larva). It will come in a little cube in a pack of roughly 20+ individual cubes. Pop one cube out into a small jar or cup, let thaw (may take 15 minutes). Use a CLEAN pair of tweezers and grab a small amount (about the size of a pellet) and place on the surface of the water. If you haven't tried feeding him for a few days he should eat this with no problem.

If he's stressed out go to your local pet store and buy some API Stress Coat+, this is a water conditioner and a stress reliever, one cap full will be plenty. Use this in place of your usual water conditioner.

Try not to bother him for a day or so. Sometimes one of my boys doesn't like me being around him, but once he gets hungry after a day or two he'll come up to greet me.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyvansant View Post
So my Half Moon Betta "Gilford" was taking a breath over a week ago and I was dumb & didn't notice that he had a slime coating up top and he had gotten caught in it and freaked out bad!! I cleaned it out ASAP afterwards and 7-8 days now he hasn't eaten and when I try to get his attention he FREAKS the hell out and runs into the sides of his bowl... His diet consist of Blood worms (he ate 2-3 times a day prior and was a happy bubble nest blowing Betta Fish & he would notice "MY FACE" and flare up & Gil at me) and he's getting a stripped pattern down his stomach area & his eyes are a little bulgy..? Please HELP or someone take him from me to save his life.

P.S. I thought of sticking a female in there (NOTE: I wouldn't let her kill/attack him) cause maybe he will snap out of this and eat and act cute again. He had such a freaking personality!!! :(
Please fill out the form that someone else just posted.
Blood worms are treats and shouldnt be fed more than 2 times a week. he needs REAL food, pellets.

NEVER EVER put a female betta with a male! They will kill each other, even if they dont act agressive at first. There are ppl whove had a male and female together for a year before he killed her.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
not eating