Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #1 
bellasia

Parasites?????

Hi

Posted yesterday about Blaze he had become very lethargic, resting either in his cave or on the gravel, fasted him for two days when i noticed some stringy white poop. Have now put him in hospital tank and am using aquarian salt. Hes swimming around a bit more but still resting most of the time changed water today and found some stringy brown poop am still not sure whether he has parasites or not. Am feeding him again and his appetite is fine should i continue as i am really not sure appearance wise he seems fine

Last edited by bellasia; 09-04-2012 at 07:39 AM.
bellasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 
lvandert

aq salt only helps externally. I would make the switch to unscented epsom salt (1tsp per gallon). If he is still lazy or lethargic then I would start the epsom salt treatment
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #3 
bellasia

He pooped today and its normal, still treating him with aquarian salt as have had to order the epson salt online, hes still lethargic but is eating and does respond to me am thinking its not parasites but what could it be? am worried now as he dosnt seem to show any improvement should i continue this treatment? this is the third day and will it stress him out more if i change to epson salt when im still not sure whats wrong
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #4 
lvandert

If his poop is a normal color then the epson salts are not necessary. you can treat with aq salt for up to 10 days without issue. can you post a picture of him? maybe there is something we don't see.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #5 
bellasia

Sorry pics not very good most active hes been trying to get away from having his pic taken, hes back laying down again now hate not knowing whats wrong, hes never been like this before at least hes still eating thanx for yr help just want him to get better
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #6 
lvandert

I hate to ask again but we need a clearer picture. I can't tell anything about him outside of him maybe biting his fins (could be rot but with this picture I cant tell). Even if its kinda from a distance as long as its relatively focused we can help.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #7 
bellasia

Hi taken a few pics cant seem to get them very clear, this mornin i noticed some white tips on his fins they wern't there before hes still the same, he comes when i go to the tank and has been jumping for his food again, but as soon as im gone hes back to laying down.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #8 
bellasia

His colours not good and hes breathing quiet heavily now really worried i dont want to lose him, i have a medicine King British Disease Clear wondering whether i should medicate, although still dont know whats wrong its been 3 days now and no sign of him getting better
Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #9 
lvandert

It could be parasites. The white tips on his fins are a fungal growth. I would go ahead and start treatment if only for the fungal growth. How big is the hospital tank and how often have you changed the water in it?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #10 
bellasia

Just over a gallon ive been doing 100% water changes daily adding conditioner and aquarian salt, (epson salt still hasnt arrived) should i wait and add that or medicate and is this brand ok (King British) says its for most bacterial and fungal infections, ive never had to do this before so am feeling a bit anxious thanks so much for yr help just want him to get better hes never been this ill.