Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #1 
Rerram

Bettas protecting other bettas

I did not know where to put this. But I figure this forum would work. I started a sorority tank last week. And after the fighting died down. I still have one of the girls that wants to antagonize the others. Well, one of the girls is still really small. And she was being chased by the trouble maker, and lo-and-behold two of the other girls swam in between them and chased off the antagonizer. Then swam with the little one for a little while, blocking her from the one who tried for a little while to get at the small one. I think I am gonna remove the one mean one, just for a day or so, so she can calm down. Maybe I am just crazy, and am over analyzing what I saw, but I was amazed that these two actually were protecting the small betta and thought I should share.
Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

That is awesome..I don't have any experience with sororities, but that is cool. I would probably take the aggressor out for a "time out" and try to reintroduce her later.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

palafafa had a girl in her sorority who was passive aggressive. She would rub against another betta until it left her alone or something XD
poor thing passed away not too long ago :( rip

sororities seems fascinating :)
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #4 
Friendlyfishies

I have a farm and have seen some animals do incredible things that no one else would believe if i told them lol...I was at a horse show when I was a kid and I had an old horse named Oatsie, was a been there done that kind of horse and great with kids...I always felt safe with her. Anywho, a baby horse (a young stallion) got lose and was creating havoc all over the show grounds. My mom not thinking clearly and me being too young to think for myself told me to take the horse and stand by a little shed building...well this was a bad idea, my horse and I were cornered at this point and the young stallion galloped over to us all wild and crazy, i was freaking out and all of a sudden my old horse puts her body between me and the young stallion, looked right at him, pinned her ears (which means back off or be bitten/kicked), the young stallion stopped in his tracks, looked at my old horse like "im not going near her" and ran the other direction lol! My old lady meant business, she was the herd boss at our farm too. It was pretty neat. I miss my old timers, they were wonderful <3

so im sure if could certainly be possible! :)
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #5 
lelei

I do beleive that animal instinct is very strong..there was a time, when I was a kid, and I used t feed a stray cat, and one night I was out looking for the cat, and she was nowhere to be found, so I headed back to my house, and there was a doberman pincher staring at me, and growling, and I was frozen, not sure what to do, and out of nowhere came my stray kitty, and jumped in front of me and hissed at that dog, and growled, and got all her fur up..and attacked the dog..and the dog, was running for it's life, like literally, she saved me..it was amazing..and I will never forget it..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #6 
Pilot00

Is there a possibility that fish trio are siblings? I know that betta fry can be depressed when they are firstly removed from their siblings. Could they be from the same spawn and somehow feel kinship?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

How amazing is that...wow ! Our old hound when the kids were little would not let a any stray dogs around them or near them. His name was Bo I miss him he was a great hound dog.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, cool stories!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #9 
BettaQi

Yes it's certainly possible!

Also science has recently confirmed that consciousness in animals is much more developed than previously assumed by "mainstream" thought.

Interesting article:

http://www.mfablog.org/2012/08/scien...as-humans.html
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #10 
MSG

I think pilot's guess is the most likely scenario. If the protective bettas are from the same spawn as the weaker one that MIGHT be possible.

My girls all seem to be loners and never exhibited anything like that whatsoever.

The only one that protects them from other bettas is ME.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote