Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 
rebobinar

Acclimating fish/water changes

Forgive me if this has been covered - I read the FAQ and am still a little fuzzy on this point...
If I've got a heater keeping my tank at a good 78-80 degrees, and I do a 50% or 100% water change... how do I acclimate my fish back to the tank so he doesn't experience shock?
Do I guess at the water temp as it comes out of the faucet and then put the thermometer in? Do I put it in the tank and keep the fish in the cup (for a 100% change) till I see that the water is all the right temp again?
And do I use the conditioner again for a 50% change?

Thank you for any advice!
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered - I read the FAQ and am still a little fuzzy on this point...
If I've got a heater keeping my tank at a good 78-80 degrees, and I do a 50% or 100% water change... how do I acclimate my fish back to the tank so he doesn't experience shock?
Do I guess at the water temp as it comes out of the faucet and then put the thermometer in? Do I put it in the tank and keep the fish in the cup (for a 100% change) till I see that the water is all the right temp again?
And do I use the conditioner again for a 50% change?

Thank you for any advice!
I find it best to keep some water in 1g jugs at room temp...then when you add it to the tank wait a while for it to come at least close to former temp...if it is a few degrees different it won't make a big difference. You can either float the cup that he is in in the new tank water so he can adjust, or add a bit of the new tank water to his cup every ten minutes until he is in just the new water. I have heard of some trying to mix the water hot/cold to try and match the temp, but I have not done that, and it sounds a bit tricky to me. Yes, always use conditioner. I wouldn't mix the water conditioner in the tank...again, it's better to have gallon jugs with pre-treated water ready. It's difficult to get a good measurement of conditioner in the tank. Just my opinion. A couple of 1g jugs of water are my best friend lol.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote