Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
labloverl

2 males got in a fight!! Help!

I had just done a water change and left for about 40 minutes to come and find that my CT had jumped into my VT's section. CT was hiding under a plant and the VT was swimming at the top. His tail was missing a little bit, and few scales on his face were gone, but he seemed fine. Once I got the CT back in his section, I saw that he really looked beat up. parts of his body looked like he had wrinkles, and one of his little side fins was up against his body. It moved a little, but it didn't stick straight out. What do I do, and will they be okay?????
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 
labloverl

I want to add that his little side fin won't come out at all hardly. I have him in a big cup that a betta came in, and it's floating in his section so that he can easily get to the surface. When he was loose, he would just hide under something. He still follows my finger and opens his fins up, and he ate a pellet.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 
Sapphoira

This just happened to me yesterday! I qt'd both of them, with warm water and some AQ salt to help with fin regrowth.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #4 
labloverl

Well I don't really have a quarantine tank. In the past, I've just floated them in the tank in one of the big betta cups that come from walmart.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Well I don't really have a quarantine tank. In the past, I've just floated them in the tank in one of the big betta cups that come from walmart.
I would do that, put them in cups and float them.
Use 1 teaspoon of AQ salt per gallon of water, premix it to let it dissolve and do daily 100% water changes. Do not continue AQ salt for more than 10 days. Stress coat will help as well. High protein foods like new life spectrum or omega one.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 
labloverl

I was hoping to not have to do AQ salt. Do I have to do it the full 10 days, or is there a minimum as well? And I only have 1 of the big cups. The rest are the little bitty ones that come from a petshop. Do I just fill up a gallon and use that day after day?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 
Sapphoira

Or, if you have a little bit of extra cash, you can get a kritter keeper type container for like 12 bucks to serve as an hospital tank. Best thing right now to do would be follow Teeney's instructions, and just keep an eye on them!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #8 
Sapphoira

Quote:
I was hoping to not have to do AQ salt. Do I have to do it the full 10 days, or is there a minimum as well? And I only have 1 of the big cups. The rest are the little bitty ones that come from a petshop. Do I just fill up a gallon and use that day after day?

AQ salt is going to be your best friend when treating any external betta injuries. I would definitely get some! You could pretreat a gallon, but salt will dissipate from the water after a bit so you might want to do like a half gallon to start with. Do you have any sort of bigger container than the little cups that you could use?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Well, you don't HAVE to do it but it will help them heal faster.
Do you have like, a different type of container you could use? Like a food container- like cool whip or something? I know it doesnt sound pretty but the container doesn't have to be clear.Just rinse in warm water very well, don't use soap, and poke lots of holes in the lid.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Aquarium Salt is best for any external problems. Treat them in ANY spare container that you have but remember that they still need room to swim. Make sure it's shallow as well. Feed high-protein foods so the tissue can build up quickly and he'll heal faster. I told MSG about this and her female healed right up. Add IAL or washed dried Oak Leaves to add some anti bacterial effect and to lower the stress level.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote