Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #1 
tn102

Exclamation New betta owner needs some advice.

I have boughten a 5.5 gallon tank for my betta, but the water PH is very high. I went this morning to buy a small tank (1.5gallon)to keep him in until the water is better in the bigger one. I have to pick him up later today (bought him at the store and they let me keep him there until I had my tank ready, which it is not.

A few questions I have are
When I move him to the new tank, I'll have to take the heater out of the current one. What is the best method for moving him from the old to the new? Heater says to wait 15 minutes before taking it out of the water. Also it is for a 2-15 gallon tank heater, so I really don't want to keep him in there long. Once the new one is ready should I just unplig it and let everything sit for.the 15 minites, then move it to the new.tank and let it get to temp before trying to put him in the tank, or put both him and the heater in the tank at the same time?

Can I use the old filter and pump in the bigger tank, as in would it be efficient? It came with the 1.5gallon tank. It's quite small, and doesn't cause a whole lot of turbulence in the tank.

How long do I have in the small tank before I have to change the water? I'd like to be able to get him out of the small tank before that happens, as I had to go buy special already done water for him. The levels were perfect with that water, but it cost a lot to get.
tn102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 
lvandert

Bettas adjust to higher pH levels very well, I'm pretty sure they can handle near 8. Also if your going to drop the pH some I would avoid the chemicals and go with driftwood or dried Indian Almond Leaves.

As for your heater I would let it be off for 15 minutes before removing it. It's to prevent cracking and breaking. After the 15 mins I would transfer both him and the heater to the new tank. That way he can adjust to the water temp as it rises.

You dont need a filter with a betta, other fish yes, betta no. They can breath air for oxygen.

In the 1.5 tank with a filter I would be doing a 50% water change every other day, If it didn't have a filter I'd say a 50% every day. Now when you transfer him into the 5.5 (without the filter) you can do a 50% twice a week with a 100% every other week (so 50%, 50%, 50%, 100% in two weeks) If you do put the filter in the 5.5 I would cut the percentages in half for the water changes.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 
tn102

I'm gonna try to move him very early Thursday morning. The ph of the water is well above 8, it doesn't read on the chart on the bottle (highest reading is an 8.4). The Total Alkalinity (kh) is also past the reading on the bottle (highest is 300 ppm). Everything else is very low, Total Hardness (GH) Nitrate and Nitrire. Those are pretty much at 0.

The water has been very cloudy. I got a Jungle Complete Water Care Kit and put one of each tablet in there. Is that fine to do, or should I have waited the 24 hours it recommends between each tablet (it doesn't say on the box)

If everything for the 1.5 gallon tank was smaller it seems it would be fine for just him, but the heater and filter alone take up some space I wish for him to have. The 5.5 would be perfect if I can get it right. If I had the money to spend on the special water I would get it, but for 5.5 gallons i would need about 21 of the bottles.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #4 
lvandert

Yikes. yeah It might be better just to stick with the pH adjusters at that point. The cloudiness in the water is just bacteria forming, and disappearing, its not cycling but its as close as your going to get to cycling that small of a tank.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 
tn102

the pH has dropped to 7.8, finally on the scale, but the alkalinity (kH) is still up there way off on the color. The water has gotten a bit harder though, but still reads in the very soft area. Should I worry about those 2? Hopefully at the 24 hour mark it should be ready.

Also the filter is a 1-3 gallon filter, should I upgrade to a bigger filter? and would I need a different air pump for it?

I need to get him a hiding spot, as when I got home he was hiding under the heater. I thought he was dead and gently tapped on the tank, to which he did move away. I don't know if that would hurt him, I would assume they make the heaters safe so the fish couldn't hurt themselves by touching it though.

I was at work and couldn't shut the light off until I just got home, so I think he was a bit irritated at that. He had all his fins down, but I shut the light off and my ceiling light (just using my desk light) and he is back to normal.

He seems to be doing alright in the small tank right now. He is swimming about leisurely. He hasn't made any bubbles, but he does swim around for a bit, then swims to the top every so often.

I have yet to name him still. I might just pick a word from the NATO phonetic alphabet (Alfa Bravo Charlie Delta) or maybe a name like "Molly Hatchet" as I think that would be unique as just the first part of the name suggests it is a girl, but with the last part it changes it around.

Edit: Also, should I leave the heater and filter on all night, or just the heater, or just turn everything off? I'm thinking I might have to keep him in the little tank until I can get a light for the big tank, as it only has a little glass door, not spots for any airlines or wires, and no light.

Last edited by tn102; 09-05-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #6 
TheCheese909

Since it's going to be in a 5 gallon tank i recommend using this filter, i have three of them, all in 5 gallons and they work very well and are very quiet. The current isn't too strong for my Halfmoon and it's intake won't rip up your fish's fins. I have them in with all males, a Halfmoon, Crowntail and a Veiltail, they all do great with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Whis...-1-ct/10291764

This filter does not need an air pump, it's usually the smaller ones that have them. This one just has a regular cord that goes right into the wall. It's not too big either and you can very easily hide it behind plants or decor if you don't want to see it.

Their filter pads open up as well so you're able to change the carbon inside and don't have to throw away the pad and replace it with a new one. You can buy it at WalMart and most other pet stores.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 
tn102

Hood, Filter and hiding spot ordered, should be here in 2-3 days.

The PH is at 7.2 now, so that is good, but the alkalinity is still passed the chart. This is a big concern to me, as he seems very happy in his little tank, and don't want the big one to end up bringing the end to him.

How do I fix the alkalinity (kH)?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #8 
starrlamia

i wouldnt worry about alkalinity, mine is around the same and I have a ph of 7.6, I keep three bettas happy in it (and a ton of other fish) it is more important not to have parameters fulctuating then it is to have a specific number.
Try leaving some water sitting out for a while and then test it, sometimes the ph will drop after sitting out for a day.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #9 
tn102

His big tank is very cloudy still. I can't see through it even halfway widthwise. I'm going to wait until I can get it cleared up before I move him into it. Hopefully I won't have to go buy 5.5 gallons of the betta water.

Also he hasn't ate anything. I have gave him flakes and pellets, which he spits out both, and I also gave him a little bit of the bloodworms, which he didn't even bother with.

He seems fine currently in his little tank. Did a partial water change last night, but the store only had 2 bottles of the water, so I can't do a full change.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #10 
starrlamia

Do you know why it is cloudy? If the water is cloudy do a big water change, is it tap water? I wouldn't pay for betta water but you could buy normal bottled.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote