Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 
FuulieQ

Question What do you guys feed your fish?

Hi guys, it's been quite a long while. Not sure if anyone remembers me. ;)

Anyways, I have an issue. My betta (Robert) used to refuse to eat frozen bloodworms when I offered them to him. I tried again a few weeks ago, and now HE WON'T EAT ANYTHING ELSE. (this fish is infuriating)

I was going to give them to him every other day, but he has decided he would rather starve on off days than eat the pellets I give him (hikari betta bio gold).

So, I thought I would switch brands to see if I can catch his interest. What brands of pellet are the best? Anyone have any recommendations? And should I even be worried that he won't eat pellets anymore? Maybe he gets all he needs from the bloodworms?

Thanks.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Before buying new food, try soaking your current pellets in garlic juice, this will entice him to eat.
High quality brands are new life spectrum and omega one pellets. NLS are a bit more stinky so he might like those better.
If he still insists on starving himself; I'm pretty sure bettas can eat frozen daphnia as regular meals (don't take my word for it, anyone else?)

Bettas can live weeks without food; if he goes a week without and STILL insists, I guess all you can do is feed blood worms.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I recommend New Life Spectrum Betta Formula, it's high in quality and protein. Or Attison's Betta Pro. The 2 brands I listed are THE best in the whole wide Betta world... :) Omega One Pellets have wheat gluten which is a cheap filler used to boost protein. Not good.
Hikari has changed their ingredients and now they're one of the worst... Unless you have the old kind. The bloodworms don't give him all the proper nutrition he needs so it's more of a treat. The key is variety in feeding.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 
Gale

My little guy doesn't seem to be a picky eater at all. I currently use Hikari pellets, with the occasional frozen bloodworms to give him a little variety and he seems to love both.

I do think I'll switch to New Life Spectrum pellets when I'm running low though, after hearing so much praise from this community.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #5 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I am sort of with Lebron on this- I read the labels of pet food like I do for human food. If the first ingredients are soy and wheat or gluten, it's junk and I don't buy it. The Hikari has lots of that crap as the first ingredient.

I feed
*New Life Spectrum Betta Formula
*New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula (I have platies with one of them and the bettas eat their food too)
*Omega One Betta Pellets (I hear you Lebron but the first 3 ingredients at least are Salmon, Halibut, Shrimp)
*freeze dried bloodworms which now I have replaced with
*frozen bloodworms (I bought the brand with the least amount of ingredients)
*freeze dried brine shrimp
*frozen Daphnia (bought that because someone said it's good for bettas with swim bladder or bloating and I have one guy that had that)

I think that is it. I try to give variety but lately I use more of the New Life Spectrum Betta food and the 2 frozen options. I use the NLS the most because some people say bloodworms should just be more of a treat. I don't know. At least it is real and not wheat gluten and soy.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You can always go the home made route.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Omega One is fine to feed, I'm just saying it's not really the worst but it has that ingredient. I just like foods with 1-2 cheap fillers or none. That's a big diet there, great! Variety is key. ;)
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

+1 for New Life Spectrum
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #9 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Omega One is fine to feed, I'm just saying it's not really the worst but it has that ingredient. I just like foods with 1-2 cheap fillers or none. That's a big diet there, great! Variety is key. ;)

That's mostly because I only started keeping bettas in May and I didn't know what the heck I was doing .. so now I have tons of food because I couldn't find the good ones at first that you guys recommended.

I just got the frozen stuff a couple weeks ago and I said to myself "you must really love your bettas because these bloodworms give me the heebie jeebies and I don't even like LOOKING at them!"
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
That's mostly because I only started keeping bettas in May and I didn't know what the heck I was doing .. so now I have tons of food because I couldn't find the good ones at first that you guys recommended.

I just got the frozen stuff a couple weeks ago and I said to myself "you must really love your bettas because these bloodworms give me the heebie jeebies and I don't even like LOOKING at them!"
Well, it's fine. I only had this cheap Tetra brand for Bettas. So i bought a better brand after 2-3 months! Lol. At least it's food! Not like a tank size problem or something. I love Bettas, even if I only have one. ^^' My parents allow me to get any supplies I need since I only have 1 but it's still nice. :)

Tags
betta, food, picky eater