Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Cycling question

Hi guys, again. Lol.

I've been cycling my tank for about 2 days, give or take a couple hours. I came home from school to check my parameters, took the shrink wrap off the top and there is a film, and white gooey film on the top. And it stinks to high heaven like rotten eggs. Usually smells don't bother me, but this made this sick to my stomach. Is this normal? Parameters are ammonia 4.00ppm (give or take), 0.00ppm nitrites and nitrates. What should I do about it? Thanks!

LizzyP
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
MSG

Thanks for posting this, that's why I don't saran wrap the tanks during cycling. By wrapping it keeps all the "goodness" inside from the bacteria.

You're using fish food flakes too, right? That's what rotten fish food smells like when it's in water and wrapped up tight.

I don't think you're supposed to do anything, just keep your nose out of it.

I'm pretty sure it's normal. The smell will go away in about 24-48 hours. Maybe a week depending on how the b-bacteria in the filter develops & how much water your filter moves/hour.

Are you heating your tank right now?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #3 
LizzyP

I do not have a spare heater. So no I'm not heating my tank. I am using junk betta pellets for my ammonia source. I have a tank lid on the way, will that be better than Saran wrap?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #4 
MSG

Now that I think about it, since you're using the "stinky" method, saran wrap might be better for the time being. A hood would release more odors.

After a good night's rest, I think the smell you dislike is going to be with you for a WHILE. Well over a week before it goes away. Maybe much longer.

Stay away from the tank and let it work itself out on it's own.

The only time I've seen plastic wrap used for wrapping a tank is for jump starting a planted tank. Where you create a humid greenhouse type environment for a couple weeks to grow plants before adding the water all the way.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #5 
LizzyP

I had to do a water change, ammonia was VERY high, around 8.00ppm. Did a water change and got it down to approx. 4.00ppm. I took the nylon of fish food out and will check it this afternoon after school. ReasOn why I was using plastic wrap is for evaporation purposes. Now I'm glad I have it because of the smell.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #6 
MSG

If there's no LIVE fish in your tank, I don't think you should change the water.

Another person did a similar style of cycling, but she used cocktail shrimp to do it.

Had a sock full of slimy rotten shrimp. They managed to take some pretty sweet pictures to capture the moment. Definitely worth checking out.

I suggested the heater because it definitely helps with bacteria production. I turned my heater up to the max setting which was 89 degrees, but it heated the tank to 95-97 degrees.

• Shrimp & fish food methods are the two stinkiest/grossest methods, but of course I don't think anyone mentioned that.