Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #1 
Kellene

Water Temp

I just recently bought my son a beta. He seems to be happy but I think the water is way too cold. What is the perfect temp for a one gallon? His tank is in my sons room that remains cold and does not get much light. The tank holds an air pump and light. What should I do to get the best tempature?
Kellene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:57 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: Water Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellene
I just recently bought my son a beta. He seems to be happy but I think the water is way too cold. What is the perfect temp for a one gallon? His tank is in my sons room that remains cold and does not get much light. The tank holds an air pump and light. What should I do to get the best tempature?
Welcome to Fishforum.com.

First of all, I would like to welcome you in this hobby. It is a pleasure for us to help people who ask questions. Please do not hesitate to ask more questions if you have. As to your betta, I would recommend you buy API liquid test kit. Check your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH regularly. These are very important and I would suggest reading this thread to familiarize yourself with the nitrogen cycle. Always make sure ammonia and nitrites remain at zero. If they aren't, do a water change immediately.

Always have a dechlorinator in hand. Tetra Aquasafe is best recommended. This will bind both chlorine and chloramine preventing them from harming the fish. Tapwater contains both products which can kill the fish instantly.

What lighting are you using? If you have no filters, you have to compensate that with daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites at a minimum along with the nitrates. If I may suggest, it is best you start with a 15 gallons tank. Water conditions are much more stable in bigger tanks compared to smaller ones. Unstable water conditions are detrimental to the fish's health.

You need a heater if your room is always cold. Bettas are tropical species and will require a temperature of 76 degrees Fahrenheit and above. Always remember that coldwater and tropical species will never mix. Just as a note, please research before buying a fish. It never hurts to spend time researching through all the basics of fishkeeping. Feel free to read our sticky threads where plenty of information have been given out for every fish enthusiast's convenience.

Good luck.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #3 
Blaxicanlatino

I suggest a 75- 80 degrees F.

the temp shouldnt be cold because that weakens the fishes immune system and makes him prone to diseases. Hes a tropical fish so he'll enjoy the warm water. I also suggest putting AQUARIUM SALT (not table) into the tank. just a pinch

Hope all goes well 8)
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 PM   #4 
okiemavis

If you're thinking that this fish is suddenly a huge financial commitment, don't be too worried. You can easily find a 10 gallon tank on craigslist with filter, heater etc. for about $25. Plus, with a larger tank you can add a few more fish, which will really be fun for your son. Most fish have a hard time getting along with betta's but bottom dwellers do really well. You could try something like 3-4 corydora catfish, as they do best in groups and will add a lot more liveliness to the tank.

Just make sure you know about tank cycles before setting up this tank. It is very important that the biological cycle has happened in your tank so that your fish will not be harmed. If you google "fish tank cycle" you'll find many helpful articles on this.

Have fun!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #5 

Is aquarium salt the same as epsom salts?

Where can i buy aquarium salt?
3863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #6 
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3bettas
Is aquarium salt the same as epsom salts?

Where can i buy aquarium salt?
Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. You can use table salt for a fraction of the price of aquarium salt. And for future reference, there is no need for you to use salt unless you are dealing with health issues. Don't waste your time and money dosing salt without valid reasons.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #7 
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino
I suggest a 75- 80 degrees F.

the temp shouldnt be cold because that weakens the fishes immune system and makes him prone to diseases. Hes a tropical fish so he'll enjoy the warm water. I also suggest putting AQUARIUM SALT (not table) into the tank. just a pinch

Hope all goes well 8)
Sentence in red comment, I have explained that in my above post. No reason to add salt and bettas are better off without salt.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #8 

Oh, Okay, Thanks!
3863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #9 
Blaxicanlatino

I dont know about that...

I highly recommend using aquarium salt. its only 3$

makes the fishs color brighter.. helps breathing and gill health... kills parasites and cuts down fungus greatly.

table salt... I dont know about... ive heard you shouldnt[/quote]
Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #10 
Blaxicanlatino

aquarium salt is also good for diseases and promotes overall good health. This website has alot of expert advice (where i get my info.)

http://bettatalk.com/water.htm