Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #1 
juliesybil

please help sick betta

hello, i just came home to find my fish bob who seemed fine yesterday bloated, with protruding eyes and laying almost sideways at the surface. this mornings food was still at the top. im going to get to testing to get the water parameters for you, but i just wanted to post a pic while i did so. info for now is 3 gal filtered cycled tank, no tankmates temp is 78, i do 25% water changes every sunday using poland spring water, prime stress guard every 3 weeks 1 tsp of aquarium salt and safe start bb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	637226  
juliesybil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #2 
Aquastar

Please fill out the form in the disease section.
I think he has popeye to start. Epsom salt should help with popeye and bloating.
You need to do 50% once a week n a 3gal, also spring water is bad for your fish in the long term.
Aquastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #3 
juliesybil

thank you aquastar for your fast reply and help... i need it. i used to do 50 % but then was told my water was too clean and my tank would not cycle....i did everything as normal this week, except his filter looked a little funky so i swished it in his old tank water. i have 11 other bettas (all separate of course) and they are all fine. just tested parameters, results as follows...
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? every 12 hours

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 7 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime, stressguard, safe start, aq salt every 3-4 weeks

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: trace (last week 0)
Nitrite: trace (last week 0)
Nitrate: 2.5 (last week 5)
pH: 7 (last week 7)
Hardness: unsure
Alkalinity: 40 (strip test for that result only) all others api master test kit

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? eyes/stomach look bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hiding at top of tank, did not eat today
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when i came home from work tonight
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not since ive had him past 4 months
How old is your fish (approximately)? unsure (pet store rescue)

have almost all medications waiting on hand (except unfortunately epsom salts) going to get some right now if i dont respond to anyone for about 15 20 minutes

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP. my pets are my children and i cannot thank you all enough.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Make sure it's unscented Epsom Salts.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #5 
juliesybil

ok im back with epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) my hospital tank is i think 3/4 of a gallon ( i will measure it when i fill it up) i have a bottle of water heating up in some warm water and a thermometer ready to ensure his water will be at the correct temperature. does anyone know the dosing for epsom salts off the top of their head? i will start researching on this site if not. yup definitely plain morton epsom salt

Last edited by juliesybil; 09-26-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: last minute info
Old 09-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #6 
juliesybil

correction

also wanted to make a quick correction, bob eats the omega one flakes, not pellets... one small pinch every 12 hours. out of 12 fish, hes the only one who wont eat the pellets. i mixed the epsom salts 2 tsp in a gallon jug, filled the qt tank 3/4 gallon. once i place him in there, i will put in his heater, it keeps the temp at 78-79 degrees, and is non adjustable, but at least i wont have to worry about it cooking him in this smaller tank. is there a procedure where he should be gradually introduced to the salts, or should i just put him in? again, thanks to all
Old 09-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #7 
juliesybil

how do i know when or if to euthanize

how do i know when and how to euthanize bob? hes no better, in fact hes worse. epsom salt bath for 24 hours did nothing, his eyes are bulging so badly i cant believe hes still alive. i put him in a betta revive bath as a last ditch effort..... someone please help i cant bear to watch him suffer
Old 09-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #8 
Aquastar

You need to use clove oil (I think you are supposed to add vodka?). Are you sure you don't want to help him fight for his life?
Can we see pictures?
Aquastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #9 
juliesybil

thank you for your quick response....YES i definitely want to help him if he can be saved, euthanasia only as a last resort if there is no hope..only pic i have is from yesterday, when i turn the light on and try to get a pic he freaks out and tries to flee bumping his face on the side and on the cord from his heater, im afraid he is going to rip off an eye so i stopped trying to photograph him. his eyes are so much bigger than yesterday. i got scared that the epsom salt bath would not be enough to save him so i put him in a new warm tank with betta revive. he can still swim when scared and is completely on his side. always the right side up with bilateral popeye. body very swollen, but no pineconing
Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Was Bob in poor shape when you got him? Sometimes the damage is already done and eventuallly catches up to them.

The only advice I would have is the Epsom Salt baths.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote