Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 
Bettafish

Cleaning my 10 gal.

Okay so i couldnt come up with a good title. meh :p

Anyways the question is. Lets say i fully stocked my tank with as many plants as i could.

1. how many plants could i have in a 10 gallon. lets say a full carpet of dwarf hairgrass. and atleast one of every easy plant atleast
2. i also have a shrimp and she picks up after me :D its pretty awsome. so amonia from excess food doesnt really count.

Okay now its fully stocked. How often would i need to clean it?

And what would cleaning mean?

Just cerious to see what benefits i get from having all real plants
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Check with OldFishLady when she is on..she knows all about planted tanks...there are a couple others on here also, but she seems to take the low tech approach and is very successful with it!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #3 
callistra

You don't need to remove the plants every time you vacuum. Just vacuum around the plants, or also lightly over the areas they're planted. If your tank is really *that* heavily planted where you can't vacuum at all without disturbing them then you might not need to vacuum.. just do regular water changes. Having live plants are a great benefit to your fish, but you still need to maintain the tank.. regular water changes and usually some vacuuming.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #4 
DJAinKY

It depends on how heavily planted the tank is in addition to the bioload. Plants will consume nitrates, so at a certain point you only really need to do water changes for aesthetic reasons. A Walstad planted tank doesn't need water changes for months, in fact. But your best bet is to monitor your water regularly to see where you are.
DJAinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 
callistra

There are other reasons to change the water other than nitrates. The gravel cleaning is debatable. Ignoring tanks with fish in them for months is reckless..

Last edited by callistra; 09-08-2012 at 11:53 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

With regular inert substrate and active growing-thriving stem plants that cover at least 75% of the floor and that need trimming at least every 7-10 days-that is moderate stocked-including shrimp and common snails along with a Betta...

Water changes of 25-50% every week or two, however, if you are adding any ferts to the water column-It is best to make at least 25% water only before you add ferts to remove any unused ferts so the algae can't use it.

While some specie of algae is normal, expected and can be a sign of a healthy system-its still a closed system. Maintaining the balance can help keep the algae controlled to a degree along with regular manual removal.

One of the best plant ferts is fish food by the way-leaving any uneaten will be used by the plants. Plus you have natural decomp that will happen and this will help to produce natural CO2 for the plants-With that natural CO2-depending on the amount can also reduce the pH naturally.

A lot of different things can happen in a tank full of plants and so many things can vary too-Some things you have to kinda play-by-ear....so-to-speak.....The more mature the tank-the more complete the ecosystem with everything working together, however, we have to remember that its still a closed system and we have to be mother nature.....Water change is our main job......When you have a mass amount of thriving plants even with inert substrate-you don't need or want to vacuum too much or too deep-but you do need to swish up the mulm/debris on the substrate on occasion and suck it out- so you don't have too much of a build up since the inert substrate can't eat/use it like live soil will.

Active growing live plants will benefit the system-the key being active growth-if you don't have active growth the plants can end up being the cause of water quality issue. Most plant failures are due to incorrect color temp lights, too short a photoperiod, incorrect planting and poor nutrition to name the most common causes of plant failures. Not mentioning the non-aquatic plants that are often sold as aquatic

Can you tell us more-type of substrate planned and how deep, filter, number and species of plants, final stocking, additives planned and lights-age of bulb, watts and kelvin and we can give you a better idea on water change needs.....If you already have it setup-can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote