Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #11 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Yeah that would be best I agree with Lelei I hope one of them are on line right now.

Oh yes thanks Perseus is fine thank goodness, I was wondering for the person above with the swollen fish.

I just noticed in a prev. thread..ok..Yes, Epsom is the way to go
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #12 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes you are going to need the espom salt. I left a message for OLF she is not on line right now but lets hope she soon will be.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #13 
starr70

No i will go get some, how much to use? and how often?
starr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Go get it while we wait for The Old Fish Lady to come on line and we will find out ok
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #15 
lelei

If you don't hear from OFL, and If you have a Kritter Keeper, I would start treatment in one, with 1 tsp per gallon of clean, warm, dechlorinated water, that would be a good start. You can use your main tank, if need be, but you will have to do daily water changes.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #16 
starr70

Ok thanks everyone going get it now
Old 09-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #17 
Jessie1990

Poor fishie :( I really hope it's not dropsy. Both my fish in my divided tank got a little bloated at the same time.... I started panicing because I though they both had bacterial infections, or something similar. I fed them both a tiny piece of pea, which I know alot of people do not agree with, but it was the only thing I had on hand. And did not feed for a day after... It turns out they had eaten the algae wafer pieces I had put in for the snails... little piggies. Anyway, I hope OFL gets back to you soon. Best wishes for the fishie <3
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #18 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry your boy isn't feeling so well. What size is your tank? What is the temperature? Is it heated? Filtered? How often do you perform water changes? How often and what do you feed? If you look at him from above, do his scales poke out and make him look like a pinecone?

This looks like fluid build-up. I would start with a 100% water change. Either change his current tank 100% or use a hospital tank. Treat him with EPSOM Salt at the rate of 3tsp/gal for serious swelling. You can find Epsom salt at your local pharmacy (Walmart, CVS) for around $3. Use the unscented variety. Do daily 100% water changes, keep the tank around 82-85*F (no warmer). If he does not improve in the next few days you may need to consider a medication like API Tetracycline or Maracyn I & II. Good luck & keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #19 
starr70

He is in a two gallon, filtered, 100% water changes weekly, temp about 79-80 and no heater. I feed him twice a day about 3-5 pellets each feeding.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #20 
Alcemistnv

3-5 pellet twice a day is definitely too much IMO. I only feed my boys 2 pellets a day and sometimes they get bloated from just that!

That means he could be eating 10 pellets in one day, and 70 in a week! D:

Definitely do the Epsom salt treatment. It will take a few days to show results but DO NOT feed him during that time!
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote