Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Mr clean magic erasers

So I just read that the unscented, original mr clean magic erasers make really good algae scrubbers. Is this safe? Does anyone else use these? Here's an article about it: http://reefbuilders.com/2009/03/03/magic-eraser-clean/
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

No I would not dare use anything like that ! They have algae scrubbers in pet shops that would be safe cause thats what they are made for.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Why not? Why would that aquarium website rave about them? They are supposed to remove algae better than algae scrubbers...
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #4 
MollyJean

I don't think I would use it in water, such as an active tank, as they have a tendency to fall apart if used too thoroughly, which will leave partials in water. They are true erasers in that aspect, as they are used, pieces come off.

That being said, I swear by these things to get water stains off of empty tanks, and seeing as I buy so many of my tanks second hand, they are my most valued tool next to a straight razor. No chemicals, and the particles and chunks wash right off.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Personally I wouldn't use it, they fall apart easily.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Ooh yeah they do fall apart...hmm well for an empty tank it's alright? Well what if I use it in my active tank right before I do a gravel vac? I know it's probably just easier to buy an algae scrubbing pad, but I like playing devils advocate, lol...
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 
MollyJean

Well the partials that come off tend to float unless they're pretty big. I don't think I would risk it, but if you're keen on trying it, there are no chemicals in the pads, just the fibers. My advice is to stick to a good old fashion aquarium scrubber and scraper for live tanks, though. You're not going to find anything so hard to remove it takes a magic eraser in an active freshwater tank. Dried on algae and water stains are a different matter.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Okay I will stick to the aquarium algae scraper. I'm just always paranoid about t scratching the glass. Is it okay to cut a big algae pad into a couple smaller algae pads? With scissors?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #9 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Okay I will stick to the aquarium algae scraper. I'm just always paranoid about t scratching the glass. Is it okay to cut a big algae pad into a couple smaller algae pads? With scissors?
I don't see why not. :) Do you use the glass pads or the acrylic pads? I use the acrylics for all my tanks, not as hard on the glass. And if you don't have one, find a scraper. They're a huge time saver.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
I don't see why not. :) Do you use the glass pads or the acrylic pads? I use the acrylics for all my tanks, not as hard on the glass. And if you don't have one, find a scraper. They're a huge time saver.
I actually have just been using an aquarium sponge, but I suddenly have been having a crazy algae problem (or at least I think it's algae). Is it just safer to use an algae pad made for acrylic, even if I'm using it on glass?