Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #11 
Jessie1990

Okay good to hear that he won't be stunted. Also, I have some Kale that I tried to feed him and he seemed unable to eat it. I tried boiling it for a little bit to see if that would make it soft enough to eat. I'm not exactly sure how to prepare it.

Also, do you have any good gel food recipes I could steal from you? :D I have one I was going to try but I'm not sure how good it is. Also, do I still feed pellets at all if I use the same recipe as you? Or do you eliminate pellets completely?

I have been lurking in goldfish posts you posted in so I know you know your stuff :) I feel alot more comfortable talking on this forum than Koko's because I know alot of the people that post on hear, just from reading around. I don't post a lot because I havn't had many problems with my bettas and I don't feel experienced enough to give advice yet. But I still know who is on hear :P

Thanks!

Jessie
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I guess I've gained a bit of a reputation as the goldfish gal around here.

Like little children, a lot of goldfish aren't fond of greens. I've noticed this especially with the younger ones. I guess it's the same for children of all species! If you're planning to do gel food, I wouldn't worry about getting veggies in now. He'll get them soon enough.

I'd be more than happy to share my gel food recipes. I've made a few batches now and have evolved my recipe from what I was initially given. Now that I feed gel, I've completely eliminated pellets from their diet. There just isn't a need especially when I have fish that already have and are prone to bloat and swim bladder issues. If you do want to give them pellets, NLS has a goldfish formula that's good. The only reason I would do something like that is if I was going away for more than 7 days (especially in the summer) and wanted to have someone else feed them. I hand feed, and it's hard to get them to trust another person.

Now for my recipe: (I like to use babyfood aka already blended food because it makes things easier)

3 jars baby food, green veggies (only 1 sugary)
1/2 cup boiled hot water
2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
1/2 adult multivitamin (no iron)
1/2 acidophilus tab **
1/2 calcium carbonate tab **
1 1/2 oz salmon (drained if from can) roughly half a can
1/4 cup finely chopped veggies like spinach or kale ***
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder ***

Dissolve 2 envelopes of gelatin in 1/2 cup hot, boiled water. Mix veggies, salmon and crushed pill stuff in a small bowl. Pour gelatin/water mix into the bowl. Stir well. Pour into a flat container so it's about 1/4" thick. Put in fridge to gel. Once gelled, cut into bite-sized pieces. (This is harder with young goldies, so I just cut them into large chunks that I cut pieces from nightly). Place a week's worth in a plastic baggy and freeze. Be sure gel lays flat.

** optional items; I don't add them as they are hard to find in my area
*** optional items that I do add

As young goldfish need more protein than adults (3+ years), I just bump up the salmon to 2 oz for your little guys until you notice a slowing of growth (pictures are a good gauge of this) or around 3 years of age.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #13 
Jessie1990

Wow! That is VERY similar to the recipe I got off Koko's forum :D I found all those things you have listed at our Walmart :D But I will probably look at our Hy-Vee too because I hate walmart -_- And we don't shop there anymore. Thanks so much for the help! I feel so much better about my little guys future :) I will update on him soon.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I get my gel food ingredients at Walmart. The only awkward thing is a 20-something girl buying babyfood...

Glad I can help! You sound like you are on the right track to a healthy goldfish!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 AM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

You all are AMAZING! I really hope your fish gets to feeling better Jessie! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #16 
Silverfang

that's very similar to my snail food recipe.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #17 
Jessie1990

Oh lol. I am 22 so this will be fun :P And thanks Wally :)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #18 
Jessie1990

Update on the moor:
I added a second dose of tetra safestart and i tested my nitrites just a moment ago. There are no longer nitrites present, so it would appear the tank is cycled :D I will get all params when I get home to confirm (about to head to work) and perform a large water change to bring down nitrates which I assume will be pretty high. After I see that the cycle is stable. I will do a treatment with prazipro as a preventative. Thanks all for your support!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Yay!! Cycled tank! The nitrates might not be too high yet, but man can those things climb in a goldfish tank. Live plants are great for keeping them down, but goldfish don't always cooperate.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #20 
Xiuhcoati

Just wanted to add...don't feel a bit guilty for putting the goldfish in an un cycled tank. I'm sure if you could ask him whether he'd rather be in the toilet bowl, the Pepsi bottle, the sandwich bag, or the tank...he'd choose the tank and congratulate himself on the good fortune to have found you!
Xiuhcoati is offline   Reply With Quote