Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Can I put a shrimp with my betta in a 2.5 gallon?

I already found out that Fishie can't have any tank mates (he attacked my snail, so I moved it to a spare tank but it died a week later). But my other betta, Shiny, seems much more calm and I have a feeling that he'd live harmoniously with a shrimp or two. He's only in a 2.5 gallon, though. Could I still get a shrimp? I know they have low bioload...
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #2 
MSG

Buy 3 of them, & add them to your tank later in the evening.

• Make sure the tank isn't lit up when you add them.
  • Then turn the lights on, see what happens. Might be entertaining.
  • I recommend getting some of the larger shrimp versus the smaller bite sized ones.

My HM betta ate 30 of them & at least a dozen smaller bite sized guppies as well.

• Don't forget shrimp are usually considered food by most fish.

I know most of my girls would love to do battle with a shrimp, but they get enough treats already. No need to add shrimp to their diet.

Go get a few shrimp & test it out. Let me know what happens.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 
Jodah

I tossed in 10 ghosties a little over a week hour ago. About 3 of them are small enough for my girl Freyja to get her mouth on, but they are way to quick for her to catch. So far so good. she's just chasing them around the tank a bit. We'll see what happens. I most certainly wouldn't trust a betta with anything more than ghost shrimp though. Most others are more expensive PER shrimp than the betta is.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Ok, thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

Make sure there are plenty of places that the shrimp can hide, and places they can go that the fish can't get them.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #6 
Jodah

Driftwood with plenty of nooks and crannies, plants (fake or not) are all good places for shrimp to hide in. I honestly have no doubt though that if Freyja could fit the juveniles into her mouth, she would have. Today she seems bored with them and isn't messing with them.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Make sure there are plenty of places that the shrimp can hide, and places they can go that the fish can't get them.
Yes they molt and need a small space to hide because theyre prone to being injured during molting. I forget what brand it is but they make some sort of shrimp tube hideout thing.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #8 
BettaQi

Cholla wood is a great shrimp hideout and it turns into a great growing medium for the microorganism that they love.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #9 
Jodah

Tight fitting lids as well. Lolz. Just came home to find my two smallest shrimp went carpet surfing. Apparently my lid has enough space for them to jump out. Oh well. Will make use of them by dumping them in my buddies tank we're gonna setup today. Be a good way to start the cycle.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
Tight fitting lids as well. Lolz. Just came home to find my two smallest shrimp went carpet surfing. Apparently my lid has enough space for them to jump out. Oh well. Will make use of them by dumping them in my buddies tank we're gonna setup today. Be a good way to start the cycle.
D:
Tell him to have fun smelling rotting shrimp. O.o
He's better of using pure ammonia, but you can only use ace hardware brand so it has no surfractants.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote