Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #1 
BURevisfan

New Tank Setup Recommendations

I'm looking to setup a new Betta tank and I'd like recommendations on substrate, planting and tank mates. I'm looking at using the Aqueon 15 gallon column tank and using a freshwater sand substrate.

Everything I've read says I need lots of hiding places so I'll be looking for inserts to accomplish that but I need recommendations on live plant options.

As far as tank mates, I'm thinking a couple of Neon Tetras or similiar to accompany one Betta.

I had thought about 1 male & 1 female Betta but everything I've read seems to say that it's touchy. So I think I'll stick to 1.

Thanks for your expertise ahead of time.
BURevisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

bettas don't need company :)
neon tetra can get nippy. it really depends.

I do have a recommendation for you though :)
you might want to cycle the tank before adding anything.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Hey there. :)

Yeah, definitely best to stay away from the male/female combo. Thats a HUGE disaster waiting to happen.
Do you know which gender you're going to try and go for? Or are you just going to bring home the one that catches your eye? ;)

With any betta, as they are considered an aggressive species, tank mates in general can be kind of a hit-or-miss. It all depends on the temperament of your betta. However, with lots of hiding spots/plants(I specifically recommend some floating plants. In a larger tank your betta will stay much closer towards the top area most of the time, floating plants will give him/her something to hide in and swim though up there)and so long as you are prepared with a separate tank just in case things don't work out, hopefully you shouldn't have too many issues!

As aokashi stated, neons can get a little nippy, it really depends. Some have troubles with the neons, others have great success. If you would still like to try them, you'll definitely want more then just a couple however. They're schooling fish, so a school of about 6-8 is what you'll want to get. Kept in a proper school, they'll(hopefully)nip more at each other then your betta.
You can also look into other peaceful, schooling tetra species and see if any of those strike your fancy instead. My personal favorite are Harlequin Rasboras. Stay away from more zippy/active/nippy species like Barbs and Danios though.

Another option, since you're doing sand, is a nice little shoal(6-8ish)of little Cory Catfish(several species to choose from, but make sure you get all of the same kind). They're great little bottom-dwellers and tend to do well with bettas since they stay, well, on the bottom and bettas rule the top. xD

Thats just what comes to mind off the top of my head, some others might have more suggestions....

Anywho, again as aokashi suggested, if you haven't already you'll want to look into the Nitrogen Cycle for fish tanks and start a fishless cycle before you get any fish. There is tons of fantastic info here on the forum about it, and I'd be more then happy to go collect a few links if you would like.

Best of luck! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 
BURevisfan

Thanks for the Recommendations, I'm definitely familiar with cycling. I've got a 37 gal tropical community tank that i've had for a couple of years. I don't know on gender yet, it will depend on what catches the girlfriend's eyes.

I had forgotten the neon's can be nippy. I'll have to read more into some of your suggestions. I figure once I make a decision if things don't go well together I can always leave the Betta in the 15gal and move the tank mates to the 37 gal community.

I appreciate all your help.
BURevisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Sounds great! :) Best of luck with your new setup, and be sure to post some pictures once you have it all set up! We love pictures here. xD
You're very welcome, glad to help. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURevisfan View Post
Thanks for the Recommendations, I'm definitely familiar with cycling. I've got a 37 gal tropical community tank that i've had for a couple of years. I don't know on gender yet, it will depend on what catches the girlfriend's eyes.

I had forgotten the neon's can be nippy. I'll have to read more into some of your suggestions. I figure once I make a decision if things don't go well together I can always leave the Betta in the 15gal and move the tank mates to the 37 gal community.

I appreciate all your help.
nice! you can seed your new tank!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote