Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

Cause of death?

So I have this girl and I had her in a sorority before and she was fine (not really the best sorority, just a makeshift one with not alot of decorations which is why I said she did OKAY and so yeah. She was at the bottom of the pecking order. I made a new, planned sorority about 20 days ago and she was nto put in immediately because she had gotten in a fight with another agressive female when I put their jars next to each other... well someone jumped. The thing is that she didnt fight back, the other female was unharmed. Thinking nothing of it, I separated her untill her fins were mostly healed. The agressive one isn't going into the sorority any time soon. The sorority is pretty much made up of sisters from the same spawn and her. So when she was pretty well healed, I put her in and for the first two weeks she was fine, her fins continued to heal, and she was eating well. The this morning, the first day after a day or 2 (I forget) of fasting, I gave them a meal (I give large meals so the lower on the peckign order get some) and I didn't watch to see if she ate. Then this afternoon, I come to do a water change and everyone is fine, but I lift up the lid, and she is in the back corner, back bent backwards, eyes clouded over, dead. I cut her open and I noted these things things: she was very squishy and when I squished her, bubbles came out of her mouth, she had alot of eggs, that was all that really came out, and something big and red I assume was her heart, no lesions on the skin and no nipped fins, and her top part of her skin was dark and the rest (esp base of tail) was pale. Her abdomen was swollen, but the front part of the bulge deflated when I squeezed and the water got cloudy around her in the dish. Also, she smelled pretty bad.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 
xShainax

Could have died from egg impaction
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #3 
Pogthefish

Housing
What size is your tank? 30 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80.1 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? airstone
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 6 other girls

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? attisons betta pro, tetramin tropical crisps, and dried bloodworms. I randomize it, sometimes giving mixes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I flip a coin in the morning and afternoon. srsly. I think it helps.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Well no real schedule, I have been trying different methods and watching the nitrates
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? changes with methods
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

not lately, I broke all the vials.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 6.8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Well she was fine up untill death where she is now bloated and clouded eyes and paleness and darkness
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?n/a
When did you start noticing the symptoms? tbh, I don't really check on each individual fish
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? umm....
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no

OH and one more thing, I recently put a guy in a jar to float in there (for the heat) but there is a plastic bag so the view of him is obstructed.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I'm so sorry! You just gave me a reason to barf... :\ Fish TB? Can egg impaction happen when there's no male?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Btw when I say what came out, I cut open her stomach.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

I don't think it can, but there was a male near the tank. I always thought about that but I didn't realize it could be deadly.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Stop with the opening stuff! :'\
Egg Bounding hardly happens and is considered rare. How far is the male's tank? I still don't think it's egg bounding, the other females would've noticed the male as well.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

They flare at him sometimes, and I cant call them not eggy... they always seem eggy though... hmm... anyway, sorry :p I dont get as grossed out as you.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #9 
MSG

Wow, I don't think I could dissect a fish from my aquarium, I've minced up insects though.

If she smelled that bad, your fishie was probably dead at least 4 hours. Bloating when they're dead is nothing special. When your heart stops beating, your organs go first. So the bacteria formed in the stomach will release gases when they're eating the insides which causes the body to bloat like a puffer fish.

There's no real way to tell what might have caused her to die. If you took photos of it, then someone else who's into dissecting animales might be able to give you a better assessment.

I hope when you first squeezed her, it was OUTSIDE of your sorority tank. Last thing you want is the fluids of a dead fish getting into the main tank water, but you should be aware of that.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 
Pogthefish

def. I cupped her and put her in a dish