Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #1 
Pogthefish

What common diseases are there that cannot be treated with aquarium salt?

I am making a betta hospital for all the sick bettas I see at petco and anyone with a sick betta who is healthy enough for shipping can send them to me if they cannot take care o them (that is more for long term stuff like birth defects or special-needs fish) and I want to know what can't be treated with warm water and aquarium salt so I can treat it properly.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #2 
BettaBaited

Fish TB. :P But nothing can cure that...

Tumors, most cases of dropsy, advanced finrot, some funguses, internal parasites, probably more, but I can't think of them right now...
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #3 
Basement Bettas

Mycos, internal parasites, columnaris, aeronomas, flukes.. and the list goes on. Some things that used to be killed with salt are now very resistant. Best not to use anything, even salt, unless you know for sure what you are treating will be killed completely by it. Salt is NOT a cure all for everything. I keep my tds.. the salts and stuff in my water.. to absolute minimum. Salt moves fluid from inside betta to the outside. Can dehydrate the fish on top of it all..
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

I usually get flack for this but the only thing I treat Bettas for with AQ salt is fin regrowth or ammonia burns that are severe. For anything else, I don't mess around and get medication. A lot of member in my local fish club use AQ salt for everything, takes forever and they keep having to retreat their fish. I just don't have the time to do that, or the want to put the fish through that. I dunno *shrugs*.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #5 
Aus

No flak from me, Pitluvs. I am all for smacking diseases up right away with fast, effective meds once the disease is properly identified.

I've used salt with great success for mild finrot, or salt+IAL for weak fish with rot if I was unsure whether they could take the strain of chemical meds.

I also use a small amount of AQ salt in just the first tankful of water for any new fish, in case of nitrite/ammonia exposure (from the store). None after that, though.

But I don't like marinading my fish in salt for weeks, when an antibiotic would heal it up quick.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #6 
Pogthefish

Well I really only have money for salt right now, and I know the limits and If I get a fish that needs something besides aq or esp salt, I will get that, but I can't buy all the stuff I need in advance, unfortunately :( Its better than leaving the fish in the store to die. Btw this isn't a money thing, because when I sell them I will only have people pay shipping and a little extra for the treatment of the fish, and the packaging. So don't say I'm just like the big businesses only trying to make money and not trying to treat fish properly.

Anyone know of some good, cheap meds I should keep on hand?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #7 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Well I really only have money for salt right now, and I know the limits and If I get a fish that needs something besides aq or esp salt, I will get that, but I can't buy all the stuff I need in advance, unfortunately :( Its better than leaving the fish in the store to die. Btw this isn't a money thing, because when I sell them I will only have people pay shipping and a little extra for the treatment of the fish, and the packaging. So don't say I'm just like the big businesses only trying to make money and not trying to treat fish properly.

Anyone know of some good, cheap meds I should keep on hand?
Taking a fish home that is dying is bad money spent. If you cant purchase the proper meds to have on hand and actually know something about disgnosing the disease [asking this forum does not count] then let the fish die where he is. You taking him and throwing salt at something you do not know is just mean to the fish. And since you don't know WHAT sickness the fish has how can you not be sure it does not have something like mycos.. fish TB? That crap is in more fish than people realize. Random fish were purchased from several shops and they found 40% of the fish had TB. If you know what you are doing.. fine. Take a chance. But if you do not and you dont have the money .. buy something healthy and keep if FROM getting sick.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

Actually Ii was going to look up the diseases and aim for the fish who had easier diseases to treat first, and I nly take the ones that are sick enough to be free, then I will sell them, and get the money to buy better meds.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

And if I did buy a fish that needed something special, I would get that and have it on hand for the next one, but I couldn't have it all at once.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #10 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Actually Ii was going to look up the diseases and aim for the fish who had easier diseases to treat first, and I nly take the ones that are sick enough to be free, then I will sell them, and get the money to buy better meds.
Take it from me.. hundreds of fish here so LOTS of experience.. treating sick fish is not easy. And many diseases are very similar. You need a microscope and need to do skin scrapings. Many bacteria present similar. Columnaris looks like fungus that also can by mycos. And you have NO idea what you are bringing into your home. I suggest you get some experience with healthy fish.. learn to KEEP them healthy. Deal with whatever presents with them. As you gain experience you may want to take a chance on one that may have velvet or ick. There is absolutely NOTHING else disease wise I'd even want to mess with. I hate fin rot. Never want to see columaris again and don't even get me started on the mycos. With fish diseases you have to guess.. and even though I have a virtual text book for fish pathology even I am taking a stab in the dark with a diagnosis. If I have serious isses they are sent to a lab.. and a fish pathologist tells me what is going on and what meds at what concentration will get rid of it. Little more expensive than some aquarium salt. Otherwise I destroy the fish. They are not worth what they can cost me.

You want free fish, when I have culls anybody is welcome to them for the price of shipping.