Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #11 
Gale

I just tested my tank water today, after being away yesterday, and I was pleasantly suprised with what I found.

Ammonia is now down to 0 ppm (.10 and dropping 2 days ago)

Nitrites are now down to 0 ppm (.25 and dropping 2 days ago)

Nitrates are up slightly at 15 ppm (10ppm and rising 2 days ago)

Again, this is a brand new tank, and has been setup/cycling for less than 2 weeks. Maybe there is something to this bottled bacteria after all...
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #12 
MSG

• The real way to test the strength of the bacteria in your filter is to add ammonia and see how long before it goes back to 0.

• Try not to mess around too much with your water till it's truely stablilzed.

• The bottled filter bacteria jumpstarters should work as long as you follow it's directions & most importantly it was stored PROPERLY before it was sold.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #13 
BettaQi

I agree w MSG.

I did overkill with my tanks -- I bought seeded sponge filters, and also started out with Stability and added Microbe Lift Special Blend and Nite Out and my parameters have been great all the way through.

My one girl betta had a little stress clamping and striping bc she went from a 1.7 g Kritter Keeper to a 5.5 g tank. When I added more caves and more plants those disappeared.

My Fluval Spec V has been fine for my Amano shrimp and my Fluval Spec 2 has been great for my other girl betta
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #14 
Gale

As there is a betta in the tank, I'm a little nervous about adding more ammonia to the water through other means.

I'm going to continue to monitor the toxins daily for at LEAST a week to ensure that it's stable before finding a few dwarf cory's to add to the community. (I plan on 6 total for my full stock, but I'm planning to introduce them 3 at a time to avoid a sudden bioload leap)
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #15 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Gale that sounds like a good plan.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #16 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
As there is a betta in the tank, I'm a little nervous about adding more ammonia to the water through other means.

I'm going to continue to monitor the toxins daily for at LEAST a week to ensure that it's stable before finding a few dwarf cory's to add to the community. (I plan on 6 total for my full stock, but I'm planning to introduce them 3 at a time to avoid a sudden bioload leap)
Adding straight ammonia to the tank is only done during a fish less cycle.

With the fish in the tank, the fish provides the source of ammonia.

I hope no one has accidentally or through confusing the instructions for fish in versus fishless cucles, added ammonia to a tank with live fish in it!

That wold be so painful!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #17 
BettaQi

Quote:

That is a good plan to add stock slowly.

I add more Special Blend and Nite Out when I add new stock, ESP my big ivory snail.

I have not added any additional fish bc my tanks are all 2.5-5 gs.

Good luck! It sounds like you're very conscientious!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Again, this is a brand new tank, and has been setup/cycling for less than 2 weeks. Maybe there is something to this bottled bacteria after all...
That much progress in two weeks is nearly equivalent to cycling with live bacteria. I'm impressed. Please keep us apprised of further progress.

According to ads and instructions, the bottled bacteria is just the thing for safely adding stock.

Now that you have a cycled tank/filter with "live" bacteria in it, you'll never have to use the bottled stuff again.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
... I bought seeded sponge filters...,
Where were you able to "buy" seeded media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
....and also started out with Stability and added Microbe Lift Special Blend and Nite Out and my parameters have been great all the way through.
I can't find any information on Microbe-lift nor NiteOut which actually names the bacteria they use. Neither do they specify whether the bacteria is autotrophic (that kind that eats ammonia/nitrites) or heterotrophic (which lower ammonia and can assist in the cycle...like Stability and Ultrafin Cycle). Carl Strohmeyer explains all that here:
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and cycling. Methods for ammonia, nitrite removal.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #20 
Gale

Well, 1 week later, and nothing but net! ...err, Nitrates

I think this answers my original question, and I am quite impressed by the results.

I stumbled across a great LFS that specializes in Freshwater tanks and species (http://www.arizonanatureaquatics.com/), which informed me that dwarf/pygmy cory's season starts in late October to early November. Gives me plenty of time to continue planting the tank and ensure everything is stable.