Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

How old are petstore betta?

I purchased my boy about 3 week ago from petco, he had a huge tail already and appears full grown... a lot of the other bettas there appeared a bit younger with shorter tails et, how old do might he be and what a common age for petstore to sell?

I just want to know since bettas tend to only live 3 years and it would be nice to know how long I might have him for and what to look for in old age behaviors. I also plan on getting 2 more bettas, any tips on how to judge age when im at the actual store chosing?

This pic might give you an idea of his size when compared to his tank and decor et...its a 6.6 gal if that helps est his size

Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 
prodrumernate

they are usually about a year old by the time they reach the pet stores..i do know petco sells baby bettas,,they arent gendered or categorized since they are babies.i bought a baby before.and watched her grow.i didnt know if she was male or female until several months later when she got big enough to tell.i was at petco yesterday and seen some babies not even an inch long.some about a half inch long..i would say they are just a couple months old or so.

even when fully matured they maybe different sizes.like 1 male can be 3 inches long full grown yet the male next to him could be 2 inches long full grown..best thing is to know that when u go buy.say its a year old.unless u buy a baby betta.but doing that u wont know the fin type or sex until its matured more.. :)

by the way i love ur tank..and ur fish is beautiful :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 
DragonFish

I do believe most adult bettas are around 6+ months when they are shipped off to places like Petco and Petsmart because thats about when their full colors come in(not that they won't continue growing and changing....they'll always keep doing that no matter what. xD), though I have seen bettas that couldn't have been more then four months old at Petsmart.

Your boy seems like a fully grown adult, so hes probably somewhere between 6 months and a year, like most Petstore bettas are are. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

How long do bettas usually stay in the store before someone buys them? I imagine some might get bought right away, but some might be there for a while.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #5 
DragonFish

I'd say they stay in the store anywhere from a few days to a few months before someone either brings them home or they get sick and pass away, but on average I think they stay for a few weeks at most.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 
Sowman

I though bettas lived a lot longer then 3 years....am I wrong on that?

BTW, the tank is awesome.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowman View Post
I though bettas lived a lot longer then 3 years....am I wrong on that?
O.o I must have missed that in OPs post....xD Thats what I get for posting on threads first thing in the morning.

A well/properly-cared for betta can live up to 5 years, and I've even heard of some who lived to 7(I'm not sure what the record is though). On average I believe they live about 3-5 years(in a proper home of course)though.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 
prodrumernate

i agree with DragonFish and the longest living betta is 10 years that was in a lab. :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

Most of my betta have lived 5 to 7 years. I can't think of one who only live 3 though one only lived to 4 because the cat got it D:
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #10 
SnowySurface

At most pet store bettas are usually 6 months to 1 year old when they are sold as adults. Anything labelled as a baby betta is usually under 6 months old. I've heard some people say 3-5 years and other people say 5-7 years. I personally think the life span of a betta is 5 years give or take 2 years.

To be honest, I hate using a generic age scale to judge how long a fish I buy will survive because that estimate doesn't take into account how poor breeding and poor care in a pet store shortens a bettas life before it has a chance at a full life span. That's not to say the only time my fish get their life spans shortened is when my 100% prestine fish care skills is sabotaged by bad pet stores. Oh, believe me when I say I've made mistakes that would make members heads spin. I'm just saying that buying a 6 month old fish doesn't guaruntee you a pet for the next 2 1/2 years just because bettas tend to live for 3 years.

I personally gave up on aging bettas and just declare my fish's ages and birthdays. My fish are "born" the day I buy them and their ages at death are based on their "born" day. So if I buy a fish on 9/6/12 and he lives until 9/6/14, he was 2 years old when he died even if he was two years old when I brought him. But now that I think about it...that habbit may be the reason why none of my fish ever live long enough to see their 5th "birthdays". XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote