Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #1 
Alexandria

New fish but something is wrong. please help

We just went today and got a 10 galon tank, divider and a fish each. My fish is doing fine but the one my fiance picked for himself is not doing so well. He is a little on his side and is not really moving much. He does not look bloated and has no visible injuries that I can see. Trying to decide if we need to do a salt treatment or give him time to adjust. Any pointers? :)
Alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

It seems like Swim Bladder Disorder IMO. I could be wrong and I'm not an expert on that. A picture could help smarter members than me lol. If it happens to be SBD I would obtain Epsom salt and give an Epsom salt bath for the little guy in a separate tank...
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #3 
Alexandria

Sorry about that. Here is a pic I just took. There is still bubbles on the glass so I'm sorry for the bright spots :)

Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 
Alexandria

We have Spike in a salt bath in his cup. He is moving around much more but is still a terrible swimmer. We put him, in his cup, beside the tank because Spike and Kai seem to really get along ^.^ Kai keeps swimming over to check in Spike Haha the salt bath is 1 tsp per galon but we don't have a galon container so we improvised and did the math accordingly.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 
lelei

Hello, and Welcome, if your fishy is having a bouyancy issue, a lil Epsom salt may help, I would try for about 5-7 days, 1tsp per gal, hopefully this will help. If you could get some Indian Almond Leaf that would help too, just crush and add to the Epsom/Conditioned water, for help with a Swim Bladder disorder. If not, the Epsom should be fine alone. Good luck, I hope it helps, Keep us posted:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #6 
Alexandria

Thank you :) we ate using aquarium salts not Epsom salts, is that Okay?

Kai checking on Spike

Spike in his cup
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #7 
lelei

For the SBD you will need Epsom salt treatment, what are you treating the other fishy for, if it's fin issues, then AQ salt is what you need, Internal issues are Epsom salt
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #8 
Alexandria

Kai is fine and having fun attacking his reflection and riding the bubbles. It is just Spike that seemed off. He was somewhat on his side when just sitting there, floating stationary at the top of the water. When he swims he looks fine and normal except he is a weak swimmer and seems to have to dart around instead of the usual swim. Since we put him in AQ salt last night he is moving around much more and does not seem to lean to the side when floating there. At first I thought it was stress from the bus ride home then having to run from the evil net and get put into a new tank but when I saw he was not good at swimming I became clueless as to the problem. He does have the bloated belly, does not go head down unless poking around at the bottom and doesn't sit on his tail or anything like that. He is normally in the normal position just has/had a slight lean when stationary.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #9 
sunlight

Do you have Epsom salt? It really better to use epsom salt and also i would use 2tsp/gall. And dose usually important so don't improvise just use another clean container and dissolve the salt, if you don't have one gall jug. It really better do not put salt directly to the tank you can burn his skin. You need to pre mix and make sure it dissolved. Also epsom salt also has antibacterial/fungal effect so it can help if he has anything else going on along with buoyancy issue. Epsom salt is very mild and you can use long time so i would say use 2tsp/gall.

I didn't read your last post , i just posted my the same time i guess. Was doing stuff in the house
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #10 
sunlight

Be careful do not cross-contaminate any equipment with Kai. I would really do Epsom salt. If he is bloated it also can be a chance that he might have internal parasites, so be careful with sharing stuff between them. Did you have them in the same tank?

Use Epsom salt and if you can check his poop. If it white or clear ,or even normal color but have clear or white ends stringy , wormy shape then it can be internal parasites and you will have to use epsom salt and medications.

Is he eating? Did you see his poo?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote