Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #91 
Sakura8

Sap shouldn't spread to the body unless he has an open wound there. It usually only forms around open wounds. The IAL should help to keep it under control.

I haven't seen a bottle of the malachite so I don't know the dosing instructions. I'll see if I can find that out though and if it needs to be changed. But you definitely may want to use a temp tank because it stains glass/plastic/silicone.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #92 
britishbetta

Thank goodness! I'm stocking up on IAL right now! >_<
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #93 
britishbetta

Sakura! Ever since stopping the metro in Shigeru's food, he's become quite listless and the holes in his fins have gotten much bigger over one night. The IAL doesn't seem to be stopping the saprolegnia. >_<

Would it be possible to use some other medication pronto? Or should I really let one week go by before using the malachite green?
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #94 
britishbetta

O Street Aquarium is also recommending Acriflavin over Malachite Green.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #95 
britishbetta

Should I move him on to aquarium salt?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #96 
britishbetta

I guess this is the last question for tonight: do you know what the ideal range for combating Sap is? Right now, his temperature is at 83 degree F
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #97 
Sakura8

Acriflavin would probably be more efficient; malachite is an old standby. I didn't know it could be purchased over the counter.

I'm worried that what Shigeru is facing isn't sap at all but a bacterial infection. The metro seems to have kept it under control but you may want to consider Kanaplex over acriflavin.

I'm not sure but I haven't seen anything about temp affecting the growth/spread of sap so I think anywhere from 80-83 is fine for now.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #98 
britishbetta

So, bacterial infections can look like trailing pieces of gunk? O.o Interesting....
Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #99 
Sakura8

If it is chronic columnaris, possibly. It's really hard to get a definitive diagnosis without complicated medical tests that most places are utterly unwilling to do on a small betta. So we have to wing it. :( It's hard to diagnose these little buggers. I know UCD works on larger fish like koi but I've never approached them about running a tissue test on a betta before.

Columnaris can eat at the fins too and cause fuzzy gunk but so can external parasites and sapro and a few other things. If you are worried it might be columnaris, though, then turn the heat down the 75 because columnaris thrives in warm water.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #100 
britishbetta

The white strings appeared before I used a heater, though.....so I'm still more inclined to think it's Sap. Columnaris likes to be on the body as well, and I don't see that.

Tags
bloating, clamped, columnaris, constipation, dropsy