Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #101 
Sakura8

Okay, makes sense. Were you able to get acriflavin?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #102 
britishbetta

O Street won't have Acriflavin available until next week. :( I will try and get it someplace else.
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #103 
Sakura8

Okay, well, that works out anyway because he really needs to clear his system before he's put into another med.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #104 
britishbetta

Noted.

He's been floating at the surface of the water today. I don't know if it's because he hasn't pooped since yesterday and I may have given him too much brine shrimp this morning. He DOES NOT, fortunately enough, look swollen horizontally from above, as would indicate dropsy.

He IS a bit swollen from the side view, and it looks like he needs to go to the bathroom very badly.

He's still active and eating. I changed the epsom salt to 2 tsp/gallon.

EDIT: He pooped. I hope he doesn't float on his side anymore. Gods, he loves stressing me out. Such a troll.

Last edited by britishbetta; 09-25-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #105 
britishbetta

He's been getting even more strings of that white stuff all over his fins. They're moving closer to his body.

I think I should be prepared for both columnaris and sap. In case it IS columnaris, what should I be looking at treating him with?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #106 
Sakura8

API Furan-2 works for columnaris, as does Seachem Kanaplex.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #107 
britishbetta

Okay, I have the kanaplex.

Of course, I can continue to use the IAL while using malachite green?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #108 
Sakura8

After doing some reading and research, I'm really not sure he has sapro, at least not as his main problem. My source, The Super Simple Guide to Common Fish Diseases, says the patches are distinctive and form around wounds or other open areas. The patches of sapro are very different from the patches of "fuzzies" that accompany columnaris. He may have some form of true fungus if he had some tears on his fins but unless he has had open wounds on his body, he won't have sapro there. In addition, if he had sapro it would have spread over his body by now.

Also, check here:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/columnaris.html

Based on this and on your descriptions of his behavior, I'd say IAL and Kanaplex for columnaris is the better course of treatment.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #109 
britishbetta

Okay, kanaplex it is then. BTW, he's got a very dark grey belly now. Is that necrosis?

He's still active and hungry. O_O Good thing.

As for kanaplex, is there an easier way to dose than what it says on the bottle?
It says use 1 level measure which is 180 mg for every 5 gallons. To feed, blend 1 measure mixed with 1 tablespoon of frozen food paste. Do this every 2 days for a maximum of 3 doses.

Also, would you happen to know if I can change the water in between doses at all? If I can't change the water, then I can't use epsom salt.

Can I use epsom salt with kanaplex?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #110 
Sakura8

You can use epsom salt with kanaplex; you should still be able to use the ES even though you wouldn't be changing the water every day. Is he still in 3 gallons? Then the dose would be about half a measure, a little less if you're not sure. Kanaplex is one of the meds that there's little harm in going slightly over the recommended dosage. So for Shigeru, half a measure every 2 days for a total of 3 doses. Change the water 100% before each new dose.

As for feeding, you can actually mix it up the same way you did when you fed metro.

Tags
bloating, clamped, columnaris, constipation, dropsy