Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #131 
britishbetta

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...r:12,s:0,i:109

Currently, Shigeru looks a lot like this.

EDIT: Should I be considering switching from Epsom to AQ salt at all?

Last edited by britishbetta; 10-01-2012 at 12:18 AM.
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 AM   #132 
Sakura8

A lesion would be red, raw, and very noticeable and probably have some sapro around the edges. Judging from the pic, Shigeru looks like he has the faintest dragonscale markings on his head and with dragons, a missing scale can look like a pothole because of the thick scaling. Since it seems healed over, most likely it IS marbling like you thought.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #133 
Sakura8

Lesions. Very nasty.

EDIT: Those fish are wild fish; pics are from fish and game, I think.

EDIT II: In columnaris, it's not so much lesions as it is "fuzzies." Those kind of ulcers like you see in that pic would typically be caused by mycobacteria or vibrio bacteria in the aquarium (positive diagnosis would have to be taken by a skin sample under a microscope to rule out anything else).

Last edited by Sakura8; 10-01-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #134 
britishbetta

Whoops, that's not a pic of Shigeru himself, just a very similar one that shows the same "green" gunk on him! Forgot to make that clear!

But that's good, it sounds like it isn't a lesion. Shigeru doesn't have anything that looks like what's on those wild fish either. *another sigh of relief*

My biggest problem at the moment is whether or not to raise the temperatures to help Shigeru go to the bathroom. *scratches head*
Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #135 
Sakura8

Well, I meant your avatar pic, actually. :) I can just see his head and it looks like slight dragon scaling.

Slightly cooler water than normal shouldn't affect his digestive system so I'm not sure raising the temp would encourage him to go. But then again, it could be a Shigeru thing. :D
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #136 
britishbetta

So the columnaris on his fins has receded a little which is great, but it's not really going away on his face yet. I have a feeling this is columnaris that has survived and developed a resistance to metro and it might be resisting the kanaplex. I saw a little bit of red on Shigeru's tail today, but the fin melting seems to have halted for the moment.

This is just to discuss it ahead of time, but in case Shigeru really doesn't poop before he hits critical mass, is it possible to fast him from medicated food? does that interrupt the kanaplex's effectiveness at all?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #137 
Sakura8

No, I think fasting him from medicated food would be okay. It's more important to not put anything in if nothing is coming out and he'll be getting meds from the water, as Kanaplex is absorbed really well by the gills. Let's see how the Kanaplex does after a full course. If the columnaris is still there, we can think about adding a second med.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #138 
britishbetta

Hey Sakura,

Is it ever normal for poo to look a mix of grey and brown? Will exoskeletons ever look grey?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #139 
Sakura8

If he's been eating brine shrimp, that's a possibility. Also, if he's now on ParaGuard, it could be he's passing some worms as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #140 
britishbetta

And if I've got this correctly, bloody edges to his fins would be due to fin rot or fin biting right?

Tags
bloating, clamped, columnaris, constipation, dropsy