Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #11 
Kess

If you have true dropsy, I would suggest getting rid of your daphnia if it's live. Live food is what is known to cause it; unfortunately, your culture is probably contaminated. I wish you the best of luck.
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #12 
britishbetta

The daphnia's frozen. Is that safer?
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #13 
britishbetta

The grey on Shigeru's scales seem to have spread, although he is still active, alert and hungry. I haven't fed him since yesterday since he hasn't pooped again. The internal pinkish glow under bright light has reduced a little but I'm not sure what that means. I think I'll continue the salt at 1 tsp/gallon for 7 days max.

In the meantime, I think I'll be trying either Seachem Kanaplex (which I will have to order online) or the Hikari Metro. At this point, I'm leaning on the Metro, since I can just drive there and get it the same day instead of waiting for shipping.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #14 
Sakura8

I asked my veterinary friend about the epsom salt and Shigeru's scales and here's what she said:

After reading the thread, I'm thinking that it is most likely a result of "normal" dropsy swelling-mild swelling if you will... He is swollen enough that the scales don't fit together perfectly but not enough for it to be a clinical problem. It definitely isn't a side effect of Epsom salt-though I also don't know if the salt might affect how we see them. Salt only really affects the look of the fish when it isn't mixed thoroughly or is dissolving. If it is mixed thoroughly then it should not affect your vision.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #15 
britishbetta

Okay, thanks. :> I'll keep an eye on him.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Just following up on the metro instructions.

For dosing his 3 gallon: find something that holds 5 cups dechlorinated water and fill. Add 1 tsp of metro to that and mix. Now add 1/2 cup for every gallon of his tank, so 1.5 cups. Change the water every other day and redose the meds.

For medicated food: get about a quarter cup of tank water and mix with 1 tsp of metro. Add garlic juice if you can to make it taste better. Soak frozen bloodworms or pellets in this mix for 5 minutes, then feed as usual.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #17 
britishbetta

Ah, just to clarify - for the medicated food, should I be using a quarter cup of tank water that already has Metro in it, and add an additional tsp of Metro to that? Or is it just a new quarter cup of dechlorinated water from the tap? >_<

While I'm using Metro in Shigeru's water, I change the water every other day, despite the Epsom salt, correct? I hope I've understood you, haha.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #18 
britishbetta

Just a little update, since yesterday night, I've given him food medicated with Metro (is there any particular dosage for the garlic guard?), and he ate it, and today he pooped. Yay! His poop was floating though, haha, and it was a greyish brown. I think it's because the frozen brine shrimp i fed him is relatively colorless. O.o

How long should I be giving him medicated food for?

Today, I'm going to start him on IAL, but hold off on medicating his water. I will continue to feed him frozen food with shells like bloodworms, and continue the Epsom salt treatment. We'll see how it goes!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Hi, sorry, I wasn't able to get on last night. I've got a sick cat who needs nursing around the clock so sleep is like . . . yeah.

Anyway, seems like you figured out the metro food thing? No particular dosage for the Garlic Guard, just enough to make it taste good. I'd give him the frozen food for at least a week, 2 feedings per day.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #20 
britishbetta

Okay, thanks. I hope your cat feels better soon.

Tags
bloating, clamped, columnaris, constipation, dropsy