Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #31 
britishbetta

Hi SlabSided, Shigeru's eyes are a little big still when I look at them from the side (the circumference seems a bit bigger than usual) and the rim of white around them hasn't gone away. If I look at his eyes from the top, they haven't bulged outward.

I know, it's really hard to try and cope with the worry and sadness. The most important thing to do is to not let that overwhelm you and keep going and keep them as comfortable as possible.
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #32 
britishbetta

There's no whiteness to his eyes, no.

I'll go ahead and add metro to his water then too. How long should I keep this treatment up for?

Thanks for replying so quickly! >_<
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #33 
Sakura8

Dose the metro in the water for 5 days. The translucent scale and the area beneath it could also be a sign of a localized bacteria infection under the scales too. I'm hoping if it's skin flukes the metro in the water will clear them out and the metro in the food will take care of any internal bacterial infection. However, if he continues to worsen as far as greying belly and behavior or pineconing, then we probably will want to switch to Kanaplex. Will he eat flake?

EDIT: I have noticed that bettas with shorter bodies (ie, halfmoons, doubletails) do tend to have eyes that bulge out a little more than other tail types but it is normal.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-11-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #34 
britishbetta

I've never tried flakes. Will Omega one flakes work?

By the way, he doesn't looks swollen horizontally when I look at him from above, which is good.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #35 
Sakura8

I'm just wondering because I do have some medicated kanamycin flake. None of my bettas would eat it. But probably best to use fresh Kanaplex and fresh food; I've had the bag for a while now so it might be stale.

I'm glad he doesn't look swollen, that's good news.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #36 
britishbetta

Okay, I see. I'm ordering the seachem kanaplex now then. Kanaplex can be added to both pellets and frozen foods right?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #37 
britishbetta

Where on earth could the skin flukes have come from? O.o I wash my hands religiously whenever I handle his stuff.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #38 
Sakura8

Yes, it can, pretty much the same way as metro. It's a great med because it's very effective when used internally via feed and when it is absorbed through the gills via water.

EDIT: It's strange but most of the parasites/bacteria that affect our fish are always present in our tanks and on the fish itself. When a fish is healthy and unstressed, his immune system is strong enough to fight off any outbreaks or infestations. But if for some reason he gets stressed, then his immune system will crash and he'll be unable to keep the protozoa under control, hence the outbreaks. It will most likely be a total mystery what but it seems like Shigeru got stressed a bit at some point (it could even be as far back as when he was still at the pet store before you bought him) and his immune system became compromised.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-11-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #39 
Sakura8

Do you think you might be able to get a photo of him?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #40 
britishbetta

I'm afraid the photos won't turn out any better than my user avatar pic. :I

Well, I have a feeling doing 100% water changes a day in order to refresh the Epsom Salt has been stressing him. I have to keep him in a cup, etc. He doesn't enjoy it. Is there a way to get by without doing water changes so frequently?

Otherwise, since he's not swelling and constipated too badly, I might take him off the salt entirely and just change his water every other day in order to redose the metro in the water.

Tags
bloating, clamped, columnaris, constipation, dropsy