Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #41 
Sakura8

The only way to not have to do so many water changes is to keep him in a larger hospital tank, 5 gals and up. An ideal hospital tank for a betta would be a 10gal but none of us can afford one or have the space for one. :P

That's fine, taking him off the salt. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #42 
britishbetta

Interesting, I always thought hospital tanks had to be small! O_O

I'm weaning him off the salt then. I think he can breathe a little easier now, without fear of the cup of doom. XD
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #43 
SlabSided

Hi, it's me again. Sorry to keep butting in but all I could find for parasite control is API General Cure. Can I use this along with the Maracyn 2? I still have one more dose of that tomorrow. I've upped his salt and he doesn't look as pine-coney but his eyes are still popped. He's pooping and still not bloated.

Also, when I dose the General Cure, I plan to mix up 1/2 a package with 5 teaspoons of water and dose 1 teaspoon. Can I also soak a bloodworm in that mixture or would that be too strong?

Thanks again.
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #44 
Sakura8

Hi SlabSided, yes you can use General Cure with Maracyn 2. You can also soak a bloodworm or two as well. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #45 
SlabSided

Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic.
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #46 
britishbetta

Hi Sakura8,

This was stupid of me to overlook. There's a white stringy thing attached to Shigeru's tail. It appeared the day after I added metro to his food and IAL to his water. It's slightly yellow in color and looks like trailing lint. It has no visible head or other features. There's now a smaller, thinner thing on another part of Shigeru's tail.

Are these egg sacs?! >___< The metro seems to help, Shigeru's still active and hungry. I added metro to his water as well as his food yesterday so I'm very surprised to see MORE of these strings.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #47 
Lisa1010

Wow! Britishbetta I cannot comment on dropsy because I am new to betta's and haven't experienced that but I did want to say the male betta in your avatar looks just like that male I had but then returned to the store. He is so pretty!

I hope your fish gets better!

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #48 
britishbetta

Uh, just wanted to add that while Shigeru's fins and tail initially looked gorgeous after i added the IAL, they are now frayed looking at the edges, with sections that are turning transparent instead of white. The edges do not look red or blackened, simply worse for wear.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #49 
britishbetta

Thank you, Lisa. I hope your boy has a happy, long life. :)
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #50 
Sakura8

British, it's possible the white stringy stuff is excess slime coat. When a fish is ill, they produce more slime coat as an effort to fight off parasite infestations or infections.

I'm not sure what to make of the fin thing except that perhaps he's getting them caught on the rougher edges of the IAL. You don't have to leave the leaf in you don't want to, it's just most of us do because it's easier that way. But if you suspect he may be ripping his fins on the leaves by all means, definitely remove them after the water has turned tea-colored.

HMDTs have incredibly fragile fins because of their size so wear and tear is pretty common, especially in times of stress. In addition, as they get older, the fins no longer look neat and even. My HMDT looks pretty raggedy now.

Does the metro seem to help with his raised scales? I want to stress that, if at any time, you feel he is under distress because of any of his treatments, you can certainly stop them.

Tags
bloating, clamped, columnaris, constipation, dropsy