Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #81 
Sakura8

86 F is the high end but if the temp is upped gradually, bettas can tolerate even 90 F for short times. Mostly, I try to keep mine at 78-80 F. 86 F is good for dealing with ich and other external parasites.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #82 
britishbetta

Thank you as always.

You know, I recently ran another search for that white trailing stuff on Shigeru's fins and found this article on "cotton fin fungus"
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_...html#Finfungus

Shigeru's fins HAVE been disappearing since the white stuff appeared, and the white stuff has survived treatments of metro. I'm not sure how much good an anti-biotic can do against a true fungus.

As a precaution, I may just stop the IAL and substitute it with blackwater extract.

What do you think? What's a good medicine to use a against a fungus?
britishbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #83 
britishbetta

I also found this article comparing flex and cotton fin fungus.

http://www.bettainfo.com/betta-fungus-infection
Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #84 
Sakura8

Cotton fin fungus, also called fin melt, is saprolegnia and is pretty much the only true fungus encountered in our fish. IAL will help being an antimicrobial but if you think Shigeru may have this, you could try malachite green. Another product that might help is Betta Revive. Meds in general don't work on funguses (fungi?) but the mineral treatments such as malachite green do seem to have an effect and are generally harmless even if it turns out that isn't sapro after all. Just be careful and maybe treat in an old tupperware or something because malachite green stains and you don't want to accidentally inhale it either. I think it can also set back your biological bacteria as well.

I know O Street has Kordon Malachite Green and Petco carries Betta Revive.

Did he seem to have the white trailing stuff before or after he went into epsom salt and treatment? If he had it before, then it's definitely possible it's sapro. Or, if he had a tear on his fin from biting or getting it caught on something, sapro tends to show up a lot around open wounds so that could be a cause too.

If he's doing okay digestive-wise, then he should be just fine without the metro now.

Before treating him with malachite though, I'd give him a few days in clean water to flush the metro completely out of his system.

Hope this helps. :)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #85 
britishbetta

Okay, it'll take a while for me to clean out the meds from Shigeru's system so I'm wondering whether it would be okay to overlap the Metro, Epsom salt and Malachite green? @_@

In case you're wondering, Shigeru's white stuff most resembles what's on the this fish:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_...ousjungle.html
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #86 
Sakura8

I wouldn't overlap too much, he's had a lot of meds. Just a few days in clean water ought to do it.

Poor Shigeru's fins. :(
Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #87 
britishbetta

Hopefully, I can still use the Epsom salt in conjunction with Malachite Green? OnO;;

Just when I thought things were finally over. /headdesk
Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #88 
Sakura8

I think so but let me doublecheck on that to be on the safe side.

These fish of ours love to make us stress. :)
Old 09-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #89 
Sakura8

Here's what my friend said about using epsom and malachite green together:

"I don't see any obvious reason why you wouldn't want to use them together... He does need to wait at least a week after the last metro treatment to begin the new treatment though."
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #90 
britishbetta

Okay, is there anything I can do in the meantime to make sure the sap doesn't spread? because there's a huge fuzzy clump of it on his tail now. :( It's also quite close to his body, and I'm afraid it'll transfer. ;_;

Also, I plan on getting the malachite green tomorrow. Is there any helpful dosage recipe or can I follow the instructions on the bottle?

Tags
bloating, clamped, columnaris, constipation, dropsy