Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 
harleraven

Excited soon-to-be betta mum!

My husband got the job he applied for, which means we get our tanks! We are getting a little 10 gallon community tank, as well as a smaller betta tank. We will pick them up on Friday and start cycling. If the betta plays nice, he can live in the 10 gallon (and then I get a second betta for the smaller tank :D). If not, we already have a tank set up and ready to go for him.

I wanted to go the breeder route for getting my betta, but there seem to be none close. However, a local pet store (specializes in fish) has some really lovely ones (including crowntails, two listed as HM [they were not flaring, so hard to be sure if they were true HM or just deltas/SDTs], and some DTs!) that are kept in quite reasonable sized tanks. They all look healthy and active (several even showed off how handsome they were by flaring a bit), and none were fat. The owner seems extremely knowledgeable about fish, in general, and he even told us he would not feel happy selling us fish until he got a water sample after our tanks cycled. I was impressed! This is a man who cares about his critters! :)

I'll probably get a crowntail, as they are my favourites other than HM plakats. They are all pet quality, of course, with either fin or colour faults, but I am just looking for a new friend, anyway.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 
DiiQue

Advance congrats! As someone (or was it a lot) posted somewhere in this forum, these guys are like potato chips, you cant just have one. Please post pics when you have things set up. :)
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #3 
CandiceMM

Welcome to the forum, you will being on here! Everybody is so helpful and nice and you can learn new things every day. It's nice to see you know what your doing and I can't wait to see your new fish :)
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #4 
harleraven

I'll post pictures as soon as I have them. We have to get and cycle the tanks first. I am trying to keep it under control as far as numbers because I AM a grad student. xD
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and (soon) to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

I would recommend that you read the sticky for cycling a Betta specific tank..

Enjoy your stay...

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #6 
harleraven

I have read that sticky, thank you. :)
Old 09-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #7 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #8 
harleraven

Thank you! I'm practically bouncing in my chair, waiting for my smaller tank to arrive so I can start cycling it (in case he decides he does not like the community tank).
Old 09-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #9 
homegrown terror

if you gat a HM i would be very hesitant to put him in a community tank. halfmoons (and VT's to some degree) are very weak swimmers compared to most community fish due to their excessive finnage, and can end up either picked apart by opportunistic tankmates, or bullied out of their food by faster swimmers.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #10 
harleraven

I really want a PK, to be honest. The local aquarium apparently sometime gets them in. They have CTs right now, as well as HMs and VTs. I'd go for the CTs over the HMs, unless they are HMPKs.