Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 
harleraven

Good small, inexpensive set-up?

I've been looking around (and around and around). The one thing I have learned is that no one seems to agree on much of anything when it comes to take sizes.

We're getting a 10 gallon, and we want to see if our soon-to-be betta child will live peacefully in the tank. However, we want to have a smaller tank set up and ready to go in case he and his tank mates decide not to take a shining to each other.

I've seen suggestions from Kritter Keepers (how do you filter/heat/light them?) to regular 5 gallon tanks. What is an inexpensive but GOOD option. I want to make sure our new guy is healthy and well-cared for. The less expensive (while still allowing the betta to thrive), the better. I'm okay with doing plenty of water changes, as is necessary.
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #2 
megaredize

well a critter keeper may be more expensive in the long run because nothing comes with them. most people use internal filters on them and you would need a heater and you can buy small LED light that you can put on top. OR buy a 5 gallon which will come with light and may even come with a filter, all you would need is a heater.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #3 
LizzyP

I got the Marineland Cresent 3 gallon from Petsmart for $35 plus tax. That comes with a filter (it works great, I baffled mine with a filter sponge rubber banded across the front) and a small LED light. It comes with a "seamless" cover but it doesn't work for me with the filter and heater so I leave it open. Then all you need is a heater. I also got a 5.5 gallon from Petco but needed a filter and heater and ended up spending more on that tank than the little one.

All in all, I don't think it matters what size as long as it is at least 1 gallon, the proper water changes and heating. Some fish do better in larger tanks, some don't. It's all personal preferance I suppose. :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 
harleraven

I want to be able to fit it on my desk, if possible (so he can help me with my homework and research by distracting me with his adorableness at opportune moments!).

Do you have recommendation as to decent 5 gallon set-ups?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #5 
registereduser

Walmart $27-30 comes with everything but heater. I really like mine!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #6 
harleraven

This guys will be coming from a 1 gallon tank with a drip system and some plants, so I want to make sure he has as seamless a transition a possible. :) I'm a total sucker for my critters (case in point: we own a cat tree for EACH of our three cats because they do not want to share).

The fish will be in the office (no cat access unless I am in the office), so I can more easily control the temperature, light, etc.

What flow rate is optimal for a filter for bettas?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleraven View Post
This guys will be coming from a 1 gallon tank with a drip system and some plants, so I want to make sure he has as seamless a transition a possible. :) I'm a total sucker for my critters (case in point: we own a cat tree for EACH of our three cats because they do not want to share).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleraven View Post
The fish will be in the office (no cat access unless I am in the office), so I can more easily control the temperature, light, etc.

What flow rate is optimal for a filter for bettas?
low flow. If money is no object I love the Petco Bookshelf 6.6 gallon for bettas. The flow on the quiet filter is adjustable and the tank is long and shallow, great for fast swimming plakats! about $50
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #8 
harleraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post

low flow. If money is no object I love the Petco Bookshelf 6.6 gallon for bettas. The flow on the quiet filter is adjustable and the tank is long and shallow, great for fast swimming plakats! about $50
Money is an object, as well as tank size. xD I do need to keep this tank on my desk, or else we will have to get another stand (which means more money).

What exactly defines 'low rate'. I know they need low flow rate, but I cannot figure out exactly what that means.

Last edited by harleraven; 09-05-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #9 
registereduser

It means how fast or slow the water comes out of the filter. Some filters create a big disturbance on the water surface and some are adjustable so you can control how mush comes out. Most put a home made "baffle" on their filters, either made from an old plastic bottle or a sponge. There is a large stickied thread about it here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

I just added to it
Old 09-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #10 
Seki

I recommend the TopFin 5.5 gallon starter kit. I picked one up from Petsmart for $30 plus tax, and it's a fantastic tank. It comes with a 5.5 gallon glass tank, TopFin 10 HOB filter which is quiet and very effective (a bit strong for a betta, just baffle it if you are concerned... Zen has learned to love the current, though), lighted hood, and some random starter flakes and water conditioner. So, in addition to the kit, you would need to buy...
- a heater (I have a Fluval 50 watt and I LOVE it)
- gravel
- decorations
- thermometer

When all was said and done, I ended up spending about $80-$90 on my new tank (because I chose to get a $35 heater). Fishkeeping is an expensive hobby, although it is a very fun one! I don't know what I'd do without my boys~ <3

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...461&lmdn=Brand - this is the starter kit I was talking about. I guess I got it on sale, but it only went up $5.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3579693 - this is the heater I got. It looks good in there and works amazingly.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote