Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1 
nemolover

Lighting

Hey everyone,

I am planning to get a Betta fish for my dorm room and I was wondering if my Betta will need any kind of tank light or sunlight? He will get some sun where he will be but not direct.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I will have a 2 gallon tank with filter and 7.5 watt water heater.
nemolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #2 
KevinPham123

Extra lighting is not needed from what you have described. Don't worry about getting extra lights. Just make sure the water temperature is more or less 82 degrees. Also, since you have a 2 gallon only, make sure you do one 50% water change halfway through the week and then a final 100% at the end of the week, or you can just do a 100% at the end of the week. Make sure you add water conditioner to your new water because it will contain chemicals from your tap that maybe fatal for your betta. Feed 4 pellets max a day. Have fun

Sorry for giving you more info than needed. It's just that so many college students are starting to buy a betta nowadays and I just want the owner and the fish to have a successful life.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

All of my bettas get just natural light from my bedroom windows...I only use tank lights if I have to do maintenance at night. Temp between 78-80, 82 is a little high. And a good quality pellet...good luck at school, and with your betta!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #4 
nemolover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPham123 View Post
Extra lighting is not needed from what you have described. Don't worry about getting extra lights. Just make sure the water temperature is more or less 82 degrees. Also, since you have a 2 gallon only, make sure you do one 50% water change halfway through the week and then a final 100% at the end of the week, or you can just do a 100% at the end of the week. Make sure you add water conditioner to your new water because it will contain chemicals from your tap that maybe fatal for your betta. Feed 4 pellets max a day. Have fun

Sorry for giving you more info than needed. It's just that so many college students are starting to buy a betta nowadays and I just want the owner and the fish to have a successful life.
It is better to give extra then not enought :). I have witnessed a few cases of people buying betta's that are not prepared for them and it really does make me sad, I have been doing my research and I think my little guy will enjoy his home. Thanks a lot for the info!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 
nemolover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
All of my bettas get just natural light from my bedroom windows...I only use tank lights if I have to do maintenance at night. Temp between 78-80, 82 is a little high. And a good quality pellet...good luck at school, and with your betta!

I ordered some high rated micro pellets to start out and I will hopefully get some other tast snacks for him in the future. Thank you for the well wishes and help! :)
Old 09-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 
rebobinar

I just wanted to piggyback on this question so we don't start a new thread... does anyone know if it's advised to leave LED lights on in the tank overnight? Or not to? I've got a new little guy (wish me luck) from PetSmart, so I've got the lights on thinking the store probably had some lighting overnight and I don't want to stress him out anymore than he already is. He really freaked when I put him in his tank, even though I acclimated him like I'm supposed to. He's hiding a lot and flipping his fins and won't look at me...
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #7 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
I just wanted to piggyback on this question so we don't start a new thread... does anyone know if it's advised to leave LED lights on in the tank overnight? Or not to? I've got a new little guy (wish me luck) from PetSmart, so I've got the lights on thinking the store probably had some lighting overnight and I don't want to stress him out anymore than he already is. He really freaked when I put him in his tank, even though I acclimated him like I'm supposed to. He's hiding a lot and flipping his fins and won't look at me...
Keeping the lights on overnight will possibly stress the fish. Fish need to sleep and they will sleep when the environment is dark. So leaving lights on overnight should be avoided.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #8 
rebobinar

Thank you! I double checked before I went to bed. I'll turn them off. :)
rebobinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #9 
KevinPham123

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebobinar View Post
Thank you! I double checked before I went to bed. I'll turn them off. :)
No worries