Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Diagnosis needed....

Somehow... I brought this guy home today.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon (Quarantine/Sick tank)
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hasnt eaten yet but will be feeding NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? N/a

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? a 100% WC is planned everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? IAL, Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:-
Hardness:-
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stays in same place, hangs at water surface
When did you start noticing the symptoms? in LFS
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He is basically in IAL soup right now
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? atleast 1yr+

Just got him this afternoon. Did the properly tank introducion etc.
he has decided to remain clamped, dangling at the water's surface. Not moving for hours.

Sometimes he's beating his pectorals pretty fast. his mouth is positioned at the water surface so he simply gulps air. I cannot see anything physical. No white fuzz no nothing, I dont think he even has fin rot.

He is just lethargic, clamped and hangs lifeless in one spot. If anyone can help me diagnose him, I'll be ever so grateful :)

I'm increasing his temperature to 82, it hasnt gotten there yet...

Here's a video
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...5077E10236.mp4

ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #2 
Sapphoira

Maybe he just needs to adjust for a bit?
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

yea... I'm hoping it's not internal :'(
but he's was like this in the pet store. te warmer environment doesnt perk him up.

he does not react when my other betta flares at him, and simply hangs there. he's like a zombiefish. lol
Old 09-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 
Sapphoira

Maybe he IS a zombie fish! The zombie apocalypse starts at your house!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

ewwwww LOL

He's shedding some excess slime coat :/ it's dangling off his fins... Though I think it may very well just be the heat+ IAL
Old 09-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #6 
Sakura8

It's like the ammonia poisoning has burned off all of his brain cells, the poor thing. There's no bloating so that's a good sign but he definitely looks uncomfortable/sick. To be honest, I'm not sure I can recommend you do anything more than what you're already doing. You've got him in all the right things, he's warm, he's comfy. Without more visible signs, it's difficult to say if he needs a medication or, if he does, which kind.

With the hanging at the surface behavior, it does seem like he could possibly have gill flukes. His gills seem a bit distended and the excess slime coat could be a sign he's doing his best to get rid of some foreign substance on his body. If you want, you can go ahead and add 1 tsp of AQ salt to that IAL mix and see if that doesn't help him a bit. With gill flukes, they don't always show the usual darting, itchy behavior that they do with something like ich. Instead, they seem to have great difficulty breathing, lethargy, clamping, excess mucous . . . pretty similar to his symptoms.

Some pet store bettas never show any signs of illness and yet they never perk up no matter what you do. It's almost like they gave up hope and gave up the will to fight so they waste away within a few days. :( It's sad to see so I really hope this beautiful guy isn't one of those cases. If he has any chance, it's definitely with you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #7 
BettaQi

This is not a diagnosis.

I am sending you a PM!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

:O
not a diagnosis?

@sakura8 should I grab anything to treat gill flukes with? I've never had a run in with anything like this :/

I tested his pet shop water. Ammonia was 0.25 which meant they probably just changed the water....

he's fluffing out a bit, I'm hoping that's a good sign. Temperature is stable at around 84F
Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #9 
Sakura8

You can always try API General Cure. It's a good parasite med and mild enough that it won't cause harm if he didn't actually have parasites and he was only playing possum, so to speak. In fact, many owners use the same meds in General Cure - metronidazole and praziquantel - as a matter of precaution any time they get a new fish. It'll treat both internal parasites like tapeworms and external like flukes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

I'll do an LFS run tomorrow and grab one then :) just incase kuro gets it somehow too...

Need to disinfect everything now >.<

Thanks Sakura8!
His symptoms matches that of gill flukes almost exactly except his gills arent sticking out or bleeding, maybe there is still hope.