Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #11 
Sakura8

I hope so, he's a gorgeous, gorgeous guy. Good luck with him and let me know if you need anything. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

Sigh, he's looking very weak.
floats around with the slightest water movement. I'm not sure if he will make it to tomorrow.

here's another video. basically he sits there and gasps at the surface...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...9D993F08EC.mp4

Last edited by ao; 09-06-2012 at 03:23 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #13 
Sapphoira

:( he does look like he's very sick. I hope he pulls through for you!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #14 
Alcemistnv

I hope all goes well! He is very pretty and I hope he will be able to spend a long life with you
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #15 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
It's like the ammonia poisoning has burned off all of his brain cells, the poor thing. There's no bloating so that's a good sign but he definitely looks uncomfortable/sick. To be honest, I'm not sure I can recommend you do anything more than what you're already doing. You've got him in all the right things, he's warm, he's comfy. Without more visible signs, it's difficult to say if he needs a medication or, if he does, which kind.

With the hanging at the surface behavior, it does seem like he could possibly have gill flukes. His gills seem a bit distended and the excess slime coat could be a sign he's doing his best to get rid of some foreign substance on his body. If you want, you can go ahead and add 1 tsp of AQ salt to that IAL mix and see if that doesn't help him a bit. With gill flukes, they don't always show the usual darting, itchy behavior that they do with something like ich. Instead, they seem to have great difficulty breathing, lethargy, clamping, excess mucous . . . pretty similar to his symptoms.

Some pet store bettas never show any signs of illness and yet they never perk up no matter what you do. It's almost like they gave up hope and gave up the will to fight so they waste away within a few days. :( It's sad to see so I really hope this beautiful guy isn't one of those cases. If he has any chance, it's definitely with you.

When I brought home my first rescue, Sapphire, he looked exactly like that..just no response at all, stuck in a corner, and hoplessly staring into space, and was like that for hours, only time will get him to adjust and a lot of coaxing..I talked to him a lot, and sat beside the tank for hours on end..watching and moving my finger to see if he would at least look at it, in the begining, he didn't but eventually started to look up, and around, and noticed my finger, and that was a good sign, then I tried to get him to eat,..and if you can get him to eat, and hopefully he will get some energy to start moving, unless there is more going on..but I know that sad look. it's soo depressing..I hope he comes around, the IAL and warm, clean water will eventually help, and good nutrishious food.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #16 
MSG

Question Hey Ao.... Any updates?

Does sound like gill flukes after reading up on the symptoms.

Saw the 2 videos and the pictures and never seen anything like that.

Don't mean to hijack, but since everyone is waiting for updates.... anyone seen a fish die from something like this before?

Since this fish has already passed on, it's not really worth creating another thread for it. Also the subject of this thread fits what I'm looking for as well.

I've tried to do some searches on the net, but everything is words and pictures I do find are low resolution and gross.

This guppy died literally right after I took that photo. I'm assuming of organ failure.

Sorry I couldn't get any other angles. I really didn't want to touch the thing, but I did want to get a nice clear shot before I tossed her in the freezer.

Notice......
  • Enlarged red veins above her stomach
  • Enlarged belly
  • Had a tiny bit of pineconing when I removed her the other night after I noticed the weird round spot. I thought something might be trying to eat it's way out if it's stomach.
  • Left side of her body protrudes out much more than the right.
  • I didn't cut it open like Pogi because I don't want to get sprayed with anything, also I haven't eaten yet, so I'm going to be cooking after this.
  • Currently the body is being stored in the freezer in a small snack-sized ziplock bag and probably frozen solid now.
  • Since I brought this guppy a few months ago, it's always looked healthy and had no signs of illness till a week ago when her belly started to double in size in about 3-5 days.
  • This guppy always seemed active, but none of the guppies I've purchased have produced ANY fry whatsoever. I'm not sure what the deal with that is either.
  • I should have had at least 20 fry by now, but haven't seen a single one.
Before she died, I was literally dissolving E salt in a little tank for her.

Just wondering if anyone knows what this could be and should I be worried that I now have a betta actively hunting snails in that same tank this guppy was originally housed in.

The tank was siphoned and changed 24 hours ago.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

He died :(
hanging at the water's surface...
Old 09-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #18 
Sapphoira

I'm so sorry, aokashi. The saddest thing of all is when all the tools we have to save a fish just aren't good enough :( At least someone cared about him at the end of his life, instead of dying along in the back room of a petstore.
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmmm not sure if i did him more harm than good. it was a rough journey home...

oh well. kinda glad hes not suffering anymore...
Old 09-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #20 
Sceven

@aokashi Now I take this from knowledge of people, but it looks like an ulcer of some kind. Possibly a stomach rupture? I don't know what would have caused it, I am new to fishy health.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote