Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #1 
ajnozari

Possible fin rot?

Ok,

So I may be over reacting as I just got my betta, and it is my "first". I had one when I was younger but my parent's took care of it as I wasn't old enough/tall enough to change water, feed, etc.

But I digress.

I got a red veil tail 3 days ago. Yesterday (day 2) I decided to change the tank it was in due to the water being too cold. I swapped a .75 gallon tank for a 2 gallon tank with an appropriate sized heater (didn't sleep all night monitoring so he didn't boil )

However, starting yesterday I noticed that the tail fin, the middle fin, has a rather pale portion at the end of it. It has gotten more white in the past 24 hours. It was a bit light in the pet store, but I didn't notice anything unusual or alarming at that time, other than the nasty water that he was in (went into fresh water after being acclimated over a 4 hour time span, adding water to his temp container from the new tank slowly eventually replacing it 100%.)

I did the usual google search and it could be fin rot. However I am not sure. The water was changed yesterday, and the day before that as I swapped tanks. I used some of the old stones from the original tank, but I cleaned them in warm water and did several rinses, no soap used. I use stress coat to condition the water, probably should test PH and such, but I'm still learning as I go.

The water temperature is approx. 75-76 degrees F and the only decorations I have is some fake plant leaves to provide cover/shelter and some smooth stones for something different.

I will point out that he eats normally (3-4 pellets of food in 2min) and is very active in the new tank with the heater as before the water was too cold (around 70 which is room temp, I'm in a dorm and don't have much control over this). He is exploratory, active, and generally seems to be in good health otherwise.

Here are a few pictures of him on the 4th, the day I got him:

Here are pictures from the time of this post, the 6th:

Am I being overly cautious or is this something I need to be concerned with. I will be watching it closely and making sure that it doesn't progress but to be sure I am probably getting some salt as I read that 1tsp/gallon seems to help keep this from happening.

However I have done two water changes in two days and I don't want to stress him out too much as that can cause more harm than good.

I haven't even figured out a name for him yet, and I hope that this is something easily cured.
ajnozari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #2 
Silverfang

it appears that he had some fin damage at some point. That clear/white you see on his tail would be regrowth. Just so you know, when their tails regrow like this, they are often not the same as they originally were.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #3 
ajnozari

So you think that he just had some damage at some point even though it has gotten lighter?

As for what it will look like when healed, i figured that but I really don't care. To me he's amazing looking and his reactions to everything in his tank are so funny. There are tons of bubbles at the top of the tank but no nests, but I think he's happy.

I'm just glad to know that it isn't fin rot, though I will be watching it for a few days JIC.

On a funny note, apparently he hates the color blue, either that or anything in the infrared spectrum. He is near my TV (only on as a computer monitor) and whenever I use the remote to change the volume he either runs from it or flares. Interestingly, the remote has a blue light that shines through the top (from the internal light leakage) and the IR emitter so I'm not sure which it is that annoys him, but I think I might call him blue anyways.

Thanks for the quick reply. Also, is there anything I can do to help speed up the healing? Or is TLC and time all he needs.

Thanks,
AJ
Old 09-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
Silverfang

Clean, warm water and a good diet is all that is needed. If you can adjust the heater to get the temp up to about 78-80 you're good. Just do two WC's a week, one 100% and one 50%.

Good food for them has about 42% protein or more.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #5 
ajnozari

So I took another look today and it seems to be moving down the tail (towards the body). I am going to pick up some AQ salt and use 1 tsp/gallon just to be safe as it looks like more than just fin damage. However, what is confusing me is that fin rot turns them black, usually, this fin is literally turning white.

I honestly don't know what to do here.