Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #1 
prodrumernate

in a dilemma!!!!!

to make it as short as i can..got a 10 gallon tank that came with 8 black mollies off craigslist for free....the woman i got it from just so happen to live rite across the street...it came with 1 female and 7 male.to which 6 are her children and 1 original male parent..

i read 10 gallon is too small for mollies,i have a 20 gallon hex that currently houses 4 rosy minnows during its cycle which has finished.ive researched and read different minimum tank requirements for mollies,,10 gallon, 20 gallon, 30 gallon..the woman has had them for a long time in this 10 and they are all prefectly healthy happy and fine.though the tank was very very dirty.i know she didnt use a gravel vacuum or anything.filter had grudge growing all over the place..

cleaned it out well.added more gravel and live plants..want to use the 10 for a divided male tank for my 2 male bettas...

id like to put my mollies in my 20 gallon.i know it should be 1 male for every 2 or 3 females.by the way my female is pregnant and is due any day now.

i at least want to keep 3 mollies.preferably 3 males so not to have to worry about fry.

id hate to see my new mollies go,but want wants best for them.and not sure if any1 nearby would even want a pregnant female..

any ideas?would they be fine in my 20 gallon hex?i have a powerhead filter in there i made..as well as a moving bed filter i made.i can take pictures of the setup if needed..

i want to keep atleast 3 of the males in my 20 gall..im confused and not sure what to do.....ekkkk!!!!!
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 
mcneivra

i've kept mollies before..i had two females and one male in a ten gallon. they did well in that tank but i imagine that yours would love the 20 gallon. how have the males been acting with one another? are they constantly harrassing each other? i would separate the female into her own tank if you don't want her to have any more babies. when my females had their babies they were constantly harrassed by males trying to mate with them
mcneivra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #3 
prodrumernate

they are all calm and fine..of course harassing the female constantly trying to mate.even the baby is doing that.still has its silver spots so i know its not all that old..i was surprised how well they get along considering the male to female ratio..and after doing a lot of research..ive only had them a couple days and have already grown attached to them..

im not sure where i could keep the female separate,i have 1 10 gallon that houses 1 female betta, 1 oto, 2 mystery snails.and then there is their current 10 gallon they came with.that i want to convert into a divided male tank for my bettas..

i know they will love the 20 gallon giving them more room.just wasnt sure if it would be ok since ive read different requirements on their tank size and everything..im also worried to see how they will react once the female is separated.though i think she would be fine with my female betta.i wanted to divide her 10 gallon and put my other female in there with her.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #4 
mcneivra

i had the same thing happen with my females..the mother and daughters were both harrassed by the dad and brother. but to be honest they didn't really looked like they cared. i'm sure they'd all be okay in that 20 gallon because of the more hiding spots. also think it'd be fine to keep the female with a betta (i've had pleasant experience with the combo..they leave each other alone). if you're worried how the males will be without the female you could try separating them from her for a day, observe their behaviors and then make a final decision?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

im glad ur telling me all this especially since u have had experience..on the tropical forum every1 said no too small of a tank..but i dont think they have actually had any or didnt have any in a small tank..though im not disrespecting what they say....ive just seen too much info about mollies being in a 10 gallon with several other fish and nothing bad said about it..

id hate to get rid of them..tho when the fry are born if i put the female in the betta tank.i know there will be very little fry.as cruel as it may sound,my betta and the molly will eat most of them.any left over ill give away..

i did post an add on craigslist but no reply.and since they are so easy to get and breed like crazy.i dont expect any reply..

when i went to aqadvisor.com having my 4 minnows and 6 mollies would not be too bad.but anymore than that in the 20 would be over stocking.which leaves me with 1 unlucky male that wont have a home unless i keep him with my male bettas in the tank...actually that might work haha

id like to hear more tips and info about black mollies and ur experiences if u get the chance..i want to make sure they are well fed and taken care of etc..
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 
mcneivra

well when my mollies were born i was pretty unprepared because at the time i had no experience..so i was surprised for sure! i had a lot of plants and a decor piece so the babies all would hang out together near the bottom by the plants. the first batch of babies i had (i've had baby platies and mollies (2 molly births) in my tank) i just let them do their own thing except i crushed up a little extra food so that it'd fall to the bottom for the babies to graze. most of the babies got eaten but i had 5 or so become adults just from that treatment. then the next batch i realized the signs that the female was about to give birth so i put them in this little breeder thing that you put in your tank (with the water pressure it floats and sticks to a wall so that it isn't floating everywhere). there's an area for the babies to go so the mom couldn't eat them. from there i had more control on feeding the babies.
i would try to see how your male would be with your bettas. honestly i think he'd be fine in the 20 gallon also (if you do more water changes or something) but then you'd run into the problem of more pregnancies. ((he should be fine with the betta--throughout all the births in my tank i had a male betta in there))
Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #7 
prodrumernate

i just transfered my mollies over to my 20 gallon hex with my 4 rosy red minnows... aqadvisor.com says its over stocked..but i had no choice..i tried putting the female in my 10 gallon along with my female betta and oto and 2 mystery snails.but rite away my betta started attacking her eyes.i got them to stop.rite when i walked away the betta went at it again..surprising considering she doesnt bother the oto.though she goes after the snails.i guess its y i named her piranha.shes mean..even jumping at my face if i hoover over the tank..and bitting my hand during maintenance.

i listed on craigslist about the mollies.no1 has replied.so i say im stuck with them.i dont mind.just dont have enough tank space.i divided the 10 my mollies where in and put my 2 male bettas in there to get them out the small bowl and 1 gallon hospital tank..i did think about adding a couple males on each side with the bettas.like 1 half being 1 male betta and 2 male mollies.and the other side the same.but dont think its enough room for sure for the mollies

maybe i need to take my female out the 10.re arrange it..put the mollies in.then wait an hour and add the female betta again..she now sees the 10 as her territory.

oh and what are the signs the molly is about to give birth?i keep waking up expecting to see babies.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #8 
mcneivra

yeah just see what you can do by rearranging the aquariums. other than that i'm not sure what else you could do :/ my molly literally looked liked she was going to burst before she had her babies and she was very slow and hung out on the bottom of the tank. it was easier to notice the second time because i remembered how she'd looked before. but it was overall just the drastic change in her behavior, so keep watching her
Old 09-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

i just did a major clean in my 10 gallon due to bad algae,snails and oto cant keep up..ive been watching my mollies,lost 1 im assuming he got sucked in the filter as thats where i fount the rest of his body,poor little guy...the rest harass the female so i need to move her..but ill do as u say and see how things go,if it doesnt work out.ive got a divider here and can give her most of the tank and keep my female betta in a smaller section for now
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #10 
mcneivra

ooh ouch, poor little male. oh well :/ and i was just about to say..try a divider! lol that should work if all else fails :)