Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

Where do you live? maybe a member close by can give you some IALS or oak leaves.
I'm in NYC
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #12 
BlueJWebb

I got up this morning and he seemed better. He is still tipping on his side but he is able to swim upright for a bit and he is calm and alert. He is still swollen but not as much. He coughed up white stuff and pooped out a white, semi transparent poop last night. Now do I have to worry about parasites? I removed the debris with an eye dropper this morning and gave him 1 pellet of betta food. Last I saw he was nibbling on it. I worry about him being in such a small amount of water. It's probably 3/4 to 1 cup of water total floating in a heated tank. I'll do a 50% water change tonight.

I live in central NY.
BlueJWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #13 
BlueJWebb

Oh and thank you for all of the advise. Putting him the the salted water scared me, especially when he was so stressed. I got up a couple of times last night to check on him and he was still alive. I also know that if I didn't do anything he probably would have died so I had to try. He doesn't have any pine coning but his fins are still frayed. I don't see any black edges but he's a dark blue so it's hard to tell.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #14 
BlueJWebb

And I forgot to mention, his poo isn't stringy, it's pretty chunky.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear he is better....White poop doesn't always mean parasites-sometimes it is due to stress and since he has been stressed I am not surprised that he had some white poop-but good that it cleared up on its own.

If you have either a sprig of live plant or silk plant-add that to the small temporary QT container to help make him feel more secure.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #16 
BlueJWebb

He is doing much better today. I found him resting on the bottom of the bowl this morning and when he saw me he perked up and did his happy shimmy. He hasn't been able to leave the top of the water in days so what a major improvement! His fins still look frayed and haven't seemed to heal at all. They don't seem any worse either. I'd rather avoid medication to treat them if I could. And I know he is still having trouble with constipation because I haven't seen any poo in the bottom of his dish. I saw one hanging out this morning but now it's gone.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear he is responding to you and improving......The fin may take weeks to month to heal and depending on how bad the damage they may never return to their full glory.
Its not uncommon for them to eat or pick up and blow out their poop and so you may not be able to tell if he has any poop at the bottom of his container.

Keep us posted....
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #18 
BlueJWebb

Holy crap. I just checked him because I noticed some stuff at the bottom of his dish...he went big time! And when I pulled up the cling wrap to get it out I saw that he had built a bubble nest!! He hasn't done that since my mom died! WOW I am so happy. Thank you! I will keep up his treatment. Would it be ok to move him to a heated 1 gallon with the salt water treatment?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

I would wait.....keep up the treatment in the small Qt for at least 4-5 days and then if he is still improving-move him to the 1gal with a low water level using the premixed treatment water...

Awesome to hear he is getting better....Keep us posted....
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #20 
BlueJWebb

An update on my fish. He was doing better but one of his fins developed a hole. I figured it may be due to stress and extremely fragile fins because he's always had problems with them. He's been getting really stressed out about me moving him back and forth for water changes. But tonight I screwed up. I was changing his water and moving him into the clean bowl and he got scared and took a nose dive onto the floor. It was pretty high up too. I couldn't get him right away because he was squirming too much and he fell into some dust. I did get him back into some clean water. I put stress coat in and part of an indian almond leaf but he looks like a mess. His fins are shredded and he has missing scales and possibly something wrong with his gills. I see something bright read sticking out. I turned out the lights so he's in a dark quiet area for the night. He's still in shock for sure but he is swimming and opening up his fins. I feel so horrible. I should have been more careful. If he survives I don't even know how I will change his water anymore. He is terrified of me now

Tags
constipation, dying betta, fin rot, pop eye, tail biting